Centerband replacement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rblakemore

I want to try my first center band replacement. But, a few questions please.
I have read the old threads that I could find and do not see answers for these questions, I am having some trouble coming up with the correct descriptions, I will do my best, so:
1. I see two lengths of center bands. one length is to the end of the upper barrel tube (e.g., a slim line pen) and the second has the cente rband longer than the upper barrel tube (e.g., a Perfect Fit [which I like a lot]). So for a longer upper barrel center band, does the replacement need to be length of the upper barrel tube? Or, should it be total length of the upper barrel with the center band in place??
2. I see two diameters of center bands, one is the center band fits on the upper barrel and the upper barrel is the key diameter (e.g., slim line or Perfect Fit). Or, the second is where the center band fits into the upper barrel and the main diameter is the center band. Should the replacement be the diameter of the upper barrel tube or the center band to be replaced?
3. All of the center band replacements seem to be for some form of a ball point twist pen. And all of these have a twist mechanism holder the diameter of the lower barrel material (or close). How do I hide or cover this? Should the replacement be little longer and an indention be turned to slip over the twist mechanism holder??

Help please?? I am eager to try this??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

If you have pictures of pens with modified center bands as examples of your 3 types, it would help to support the discussion so that we don't have to try to visualize what type you are referring to. That way, we can devote the mental energy to answering your questions instead of trying to understand what you are describing.

GaryMGg

Hi Ronald,

There are a number of ways to do this.
In this pen, the bottom of the upper barrel is made long and is drilled oversize for roughly 1/4" and it overlaps the lower barrel.
While it's not a glued-on CB, the principal is the same.
1_cherryNoCBsmall.jpg

Most of the time when I make a slimline type pen with contrasting CB, I glue the piece replacing the CB a little longer than the metal CB and drill a bit larger diameter than the outside diameter of the lower barrel so it can overlap slightly.
The net effect is similar to what's pictured above.
Hope that's useful.

rblakemore

Centerban replacement - pictures

OK, after more thought, looking at kits, and pictures (like Gary's above) Ithink that I have answered my questions; but, some pictures and follow upquestions please; and, this may help other pen turners afraid to attack acenter band.

1. For a slimline, see picture 1, a replacement upper barrel needsto be extended long enough to compensate for the length of the center band and a larger diameter hole can be drilled to cover the lower barrel??

2. For a larger pen (in this case a Cigar), see picture 2, I have pictures of a pen, center band, and twist mechanism holder. The twist holder can be turned down so that it can be covered by the upper barrel?? The upper can be made a little longer to compensate for the center band?? And a hole drilled a little larger to cover the lower barrel??

Attachments

• 9T4A7715_cropped.jpg
    9T4A7715_cropped.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 9T4A7716_cropped.jpg
    9T4A7716_cropped.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 234

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's one of the more popular ways of making custom center bands for slimlines. You can also make the custom cb independently from the pen as a simple replacement for the standard cb. Or you can glue the cb material to either the top or the bottom blank and turn it as part of the blanks if you don't want the cb to be able to rotate.

You also have a lot of flexibility on the length of the cb with slimlines (as well as the pen itself) - you just need to get the proportions to look good and make sure the transmission/tube matings work right.

Top Bottom