Casting labels in resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

andrewleeheck

Hello friends:

After feeling less than contributory for a long time, I finally came across something helpful and novel (I think) to share with y'all.

I've found that when adhering labels to pen barrels (I use Avery 8253) for casting in clear resin, rubbing them with a thin layer of medium CA followed by some accelerator (after about 30 sec) prevents (a) saturation by the resin, and (b) pull-away of the label from the barrel during curing or vacuum. Happy casting!

Andrew

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I love a good tip, thanks.I powder coat the tubes white which seems to help keep the color white true.Every little bit helps.

andrewleeheck

I wrap the self-adhesive label on the tube, then wipe a thin layer of CA, then spray the accelerator.

I also will paint the tube white when casting a light-colored label to avoid the brass color showing through. So far, though, the CA hasn't made the white label substantially transparent so I could probably get away with leaving the barrel bare. But better safe then sorry, I suppose; I think I'll probably color the tubes before sticking the label on from this point forward.

Top Bottom