CA and bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zawoogie

This question has probably been asked a gazillion times before so I'd like to make it a gazillion and one. How do you keep CA from sticking to your bushings when you are filling in voids on acrylic or finishing with CA on wood?[?]

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't use bushings when finishing personally. Before that, when using a mandrel, I would lightly wax the bushings before putting them into the tube. This helped a lot. But when I went to the mandrel-less, no mandrel, between centers, center to center, or what ever it is called, it stopped the bushings from sticking dead in its tracks!

If you are not familiar with this, I will give a very brief explanation. Instead of using a mandrel, the methods mentioned above use the bushings for turning but they (bushings) are removed for finishing. The bushings are mounted on the blank and then tail stock is pulled up and the point goes into the bushing. A "dead center" or drive center from the head stock is placed into the bushing on the other end. Tighten the tail stock and turn. Remove the bushings when down to size and put the turned blank on the dead center and live center and finish. No sticking. Disadvantage - only one blank at a time instead of two. But the advantages out weigh that one disadvantage IMO.

Top Bottom