Casting center rings? Anyone doing this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

carnut1

I'm begining to cast my own custom lost wax center rings for my pens.
Is there anyone doing this yet?
Will you pass on your thoughts? Where you are getting the plating done?

TIA
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I just finished buying all the stuff to do this, and hope to start in the new year. Drop me an E-mail when you get a chance.

bradh

I do not do custom CB's but it is an interesting idea. For platings, the simpiliest would be e-coating, see the articles listed on the home page. Other platings of chrome or zinc should be common in many areas. Many metal stamping companies or zinc diecasting companies will know where to find the closest platers. I suggest looking one up and then phone the purchasing manager. He will likely know a local source.
Hope this helps,
Brad Harding

PS: I am guessing that lost wax is a form of sand casting. I am I correct?

I've thought about doing this but never tried it yet

Here is an article for those that don't know what lost wax is
http://users.lmi.net/drewid/Lost_Wax_Casting.html

pete00

i need to check, but one of the vendors a lot of folks reccomend here has a plating kit for gold and silver. If i remember right fairly inexpensive.

i was looking at it a couple of weeks ago thinking i should try that.

I know i have it in my favorits . Now all i have to do is find it.........ahhhhh yes another senior moment.

ill post link when i do.............pete

carnut1

I have no interest in plain rings. As those come with the over the counter kits.
I want to make unique rings that will make my pens stand out from the OTC ones that every other turner makes. I have seen the articles and talks about buying rings from ebay etc. Again I want unique, not OTC.
I'm going to carve my wax make my masters and then make more. I have done lost wax and yes it costs, it takes practice, but I want more value from my pens than selling them for $150 I get now.

dfurlano

Sounds good go for it, but from my knowledge doing one offs with lost wax will be time consuming. You potentially can carve plain rings faster (lots of websites on carving and engraving) and people get over $1000 per pen using OTC rings. I have also cast pewter directly onto ebonite blanks which works very nice. Also enameling is very worth while and is relatively quick and easy.

btboone

It looks like you are on the right track John. Making unique pens that others don't or can't make will make yours more valuable by default. As for plating, something to consider is that the new centerbands may not match the rest of the parts, so the entire kit may have to be plated at once. Another angle is to simply to keep them contrasting and not plate them at all. Once you're set up for lost wax, the metal used can be anything from silver to palladium to gold. If the design and execution is right, people will pay the money.

Skye

Originally posted by dfurlano
and people get over $1000 per pen using OTC rings.

Dangit, I was hoping nobody had thought of that yet. I've got a ring size guide in my wallet and I'm ready to bring the calipers into a store somewhere, lol

carnut1

Thanks to all for the replies.
And to Bruce your rings and items on your site are AWSOME!.
Thanks for the idea of the plating being a shade off. That is very valid.
Likely I would cast solid silver etc. I think that too would add value.
John

Jerryconn

Originally posted by pete00
<br />i need to check, but one of the vendors a lot of folks reccomend here has a plating kit for gold and silver. If i remember right fairly inexpensive.

i was looking at it a couple of weeks ago thinking i should try that.

I know i have it in my favorits . Now all i have to do is find it.........ahhhhh yes another senior moment.

ill post link when i do.............pete

Here you go.
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html

pete00

Jerry

That was one of them, forgot about that one thanks.......

but micro mark was the one one i was thinking of
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=98

Perhaps one of our "metal smiths" could comment on the value or lack of for these goodies....

lol guess i dont need to worry about senior moments with you around....

btboone

I have never used plating solutions. I'm a bit scared of them. Some are the REAL poisonous solutions that will kill you with just a drop landing on your lip. A little death will do ya.

pete00

Originally posted by Jamie
<br />http://platingsales.com/

went to visit the site and came upon plating non metal.

did you folks know you can plate plastics, wood, Easter eggs,flower
Insects and a bunch more. in gold or chrome or whatever plating finish you want on the part

http://platingsales.com/electroform.html

well of course some of you did but i didnt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom