Carving knife/fork handle suggestion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick1708

Rick1708

To make a long Holiday discussion short, my extended family decided that no one has a good carving knife set. Well, I guess I know my next project. Woodcraft sells a nice stainless set that I plan to make.

I'm looking for suggestions on what wood would be good for the handles with the following thoughts in mind:

1) It needs to be strong enough to last for a really long time. I want this to be an heirloom piece.
2) It has to be unique. Cherry and Maple are great, but I'd like to be more exotic
3) I plan to make a matching storage case so the wood has to be available in quantities large enough to make a case.
4) I have a good budget for the project, but I also can't break the bank

Thanks for the suggestions!!

ldubia

To make a long Holiday discussion short, my extended family decided that no one has a good carving knife set. Well, I guess I know my next project. Woodcraft sells a nice stainless set that I plan to make.

I'm looking for suggestions on what wood would be good for the handles with the following thoughts in mind:

1) It needs to be strong enough to last for a really long time. I want this to be an heirloom piece.
2) It has to be unique. Cherry and Maple are great, but I'd like to be more exotic
3) I plan to make a matching storage case so the wood has to be available in quantities large enough to make a case.
4) I have a good budget for the project, but I also can't break the bank

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Now let's not make this TOO easy. :eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

My choice would be something like highly figured Koa or Rosewood. I think the Koa would look really fabulous.

PS. now I have a new project. :rolleyes::biggrin:

MobilMan

Bloodwood makes a beautiful handle. Whatever you get, make sure it's dry. I just finished 14 icecream scoop handles & dipped them is Lacquer. Everyone says they're too nice to use. Made a dipping tube out of PVC pipe plugged on one end. You might check CSUSA for the wood. They have great prices & service.

Top Bottom