Cartridge Pen Contest Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, here's my second one. I cut the slots with a router. NOT fun!!!!:eek: Scary as hell!!!
For those poor people that have posted a pen already and haven't got an artistic bone in their body, :rolleyes::biggrin: the pen shows a bullet at the moment of ignition with the flames coming out of the casing. I had to work real quick to capture it:biggrin:

Attachments

• Bullet1.jpg
    Bullet1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 381

workinforwood

I have to say Steve..that's very cool. I like the braded copper inside, and the concept is cool. I wouldn't try that with a router!

Supersonic..yep, that's real cool cat. Excellent execution and ...oh ugggh..wait, can't see, got a tail fin in my eye!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Skip that pen is the BOMB ! :glasses-cool:

My wife claimed the snakeskin one but guess what she said about the other one???:eek: Don't forget that she is a straight talking woman and my biggest critic..:cool:

I quote; ' That is the %&^$£ ugliest pen you have ever made!!! ' :eek:

Anyone know a good divorce lawyer!!!????:biggrin:

My wife claimed the snakeskin one but guess what she said about the other one???:eek: Don't forget that she is a straight talking woman and my biggest critic..:cool:

I quote; ' That is the %&^$£ ugliest pen you have ever made!!! ' :eek:

Anyone know a good divorce lawyer!!!????:biggrin:

:cat: Just make her a pen that looks like a curling iron and you will be back in her good graces. :biggrin:

workinforwood

The Russian supersonic has probably crashed 50 times more than the French version, but they'll never release that info. I'm sure the Cat supersonic will go down with all the rest, while my Apache relaxes on a good ole fashion peace pipe.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The Russian supersonic has probably crashed 50 times more than the French version, but they'll never release that info. I'm sure the Cat supersonic will go down with all the rest, while my Apache relaxes on a good ole fashion peace pipe.

Jeff, I think you mixed something stronger with your weed that you put in your pipe!!!! Especially if you think that thing you called a pen will win:wink::biggrin:

James, did you ever see Bruce's 'Tree Hugger' clip???:biggrin: Perhaps before your time. If you think his monkey is perverted you should see that one!!!!:eek: I think he found a convienient knot hole:wink:
Oh yeah, before I forget, Do you have to 'bend' the refill to stick it up it's nose??:confused::tongue:

I'd love to know who the judges are and what they are looking for:confused:
I hope we get loads more entries and I really don't care who wins, cos this has been real fun.( I already have several of Jeff's cool blanks:wink: )

Jeff, I think you mixed something stronger with your weed that you put in your pipe!!!! Especially if you think that thing you called a pen will win:wink::biggrin:

James, did you ever see Bruce's 'Tree Hugger' clip???:biggrin: Perhaps before your time. If you think his monkey is perverted you should see that one!!!!:eek: I think he found a convienient knot hole:wink:
Oh yeah, before I forget, Do you have to 'bend' the refill to stick it up it's nose??:confused::tongue:

I'd love to know who the judges are and what they are looking for:confused:
I hope we get loads more entries and I really don't care who wins, cos this has been real fun.( I already have several of Jeff's cool blanks:wink: )

Skip, Bruce showed me his tree hugger pen at the NoVa picnic, he is a very talented man, perverted but talented :) For the nose on the jet I used one of those plastic refills, it worked super for the bend. I think this is great for the hobby, its not the prize or who wins, just fun to see all those talented peoples creations and hear all the SMACK coming from their keyboards.:) :airplane::airplane::airplane:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I hope so too Steve, because I haven't seen anything better than my pen yet, and Don't see you having a chance of winning any blanks from me! :biggrin:

LMAO:biggrin: Just as well you're not a judge then isn't it:mad::wink:
But you are going to be seriously dissapointed when you don't get to keep them. How many custom blanks were there again???? I'm sure you said 50:confused:
As much as I hate to admit it, your blanks are actually worth buying:wink:

workinforwood

I have some new blanks to offer. One of them I call the CRatbird Kabob. It's a Cat chasing a Rat chasing a Robbin with a scrollsaw blade skewered through them all, cast in a nice vibrant blood red backdrop. The orders are already piling in for it too!:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Skip, Bruce showed me his tree hugger pen at the NoVa picnic, he is a very talented man, perverted but talented :)

I think I'm gonna have to arrange another visit 'State-side' :biggrin: There are now a bunch of folks that I really want to meet and he's right near the top. You won't get any arguement from me about his talent either!!! :eek: Check out the fantastic clip he made for me.........:biggrin: I've yet to make the 'right' pen for it though. One day......:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Ratty2.jpg
    Ratty2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 145
I think I'm gonna have to arrange another visit 'State-side' :biggrin: There are now a bunch of folks that I really want to meet and he's right near the top. You won't get any arguement from me about his talent either!!! :eek: Check out the fantastic clip he made for me.........:biggrin: I've yet to make the 'right' pen for it though. One day......:rolleyes:

That clip looks great :) When you get to this side of the pond maybe we can all talk shop :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:eek: Wow, sure is quiet in here :eek:

Hey Jeff, why not show a pic of the blanks you WILL be giving away:biggrin:
Might intice a few more entries:wink:

Mmmmm, maybe we could have 3 entries each??? :confused::biggrin:

Last edited:

workinforwood

Prizes

Why sure Steve. I do not know if Cav has found any other prize donors. I am only offering a $100 in blanks to the first place winner. But..the winner chooses his prizes, which is a bonus in my opinion. Also, although I do not have them yet, sometime next week I will be receiving some beautiful prize ribbons for the top 3 winners. Not just cheapo strip ribbons, but nice ribbons with the IAP logo and the rank for the 2009 casing pen challenge.:eek:

You see here..I have quite a large inventory of things built up, and many of them are brand new items. I have a wood selection of wolves howling at the moon, and some Indian Chief blanks. I have tons of %100 acrylic blanks. The skulls, stars and 360 dragons, dragons in acrylic though! I have a new one I call the dancing flame. I have a few religious theme french crosses. In the bottom right, they look like light brown blocks..well they are not. Those are the all new "Boomaroo Blank"! It's a Kangaroo with over a dozen boomerangs flying in different directions with a 2 tone sand backdrop. They are tube cast JR Gent %100 acrylic ready to spin and polish. And finally, maybe I'll have my newest blank ready. Won't have too many to offer, but I think it's pretty cool, I call him Squirmy. A smiling worm with googly eyes hanging on a fish hook. :rotfl: I'm having a tough time conquering this little worm right now, I started working on 4 and they are all a failure at the moment, but I'll get back on it tomorrow with a different idea. Going to take at least 3 casts to get him done. If I only have 4, I keep 2, so if you like fishing, you better make a casing pen better than mine. Don't know how that can be done, but maybe someone will figure it out. :biggrin:

prizes001.jpg

prizes003.jpg

prizes004.jpg

workinforwood

Yea..that's a tomahawk on that lower blank for the Indian Chief, and there's an arrow on the opposite side of it. Several of the acrylics have different variations too, for different reasons..like only 5 fit in the mold, but maybe I had six I cut, so I may have added something else and just poured it different. There's only 1 dancing flame with a 360 flame on the bottom. The rest are poured black on top and flame colors on the bottom, with a separator in between, then at the last second I pull out the separator before closing the lid..this blends the black into the flames but keeps it all black on the top and all flame colors on the bottom..pretty nifty trick. I haven't even spun some of these for me, so I don't even know what they all look like, but they look good, you can bet on that.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Those are seriously Cool Jeff!!!!:eek::cool::biggrin: ( But I knew that already :wink: )

How many blanks does $100 get? :confused:

C'mon everyone, polish up some brass and get your entry in. This contest is far from over:biggrin:

workinforwood

They are $150 each Steve. you know that! ...my secret marketing campaign..you win to owe me $50 for a pen blank. hehe

Really though..you will probably purchase with in that value range 3-5 blanks. ..we won't argue a couple bucks on the plus or minus side either..you just need to pick nice and close the the hundred mark. Might not sound like a lot, but they are quite out of the ordinary, lots of labour and they don't grow on tree's. Slim chance that you'll show up at a show and find someone else with the same thing..really unlikely. Having a couple really different pens on display helps with sales. If anything..people see the price and value of thse and they are happier spending $40 on a nice euro. At the same time, they add a lot to conversation, which is where most sales are sure to come from in the first place.

Last edited:

Rick_G

Ok I'll post mine. It's only my fifth. Not going anywhere against some of the stuff I've seen here but it was fun to make. 308 with bullet nib. Piece of another 308 for the CB to get that extra length needed. All the brass and bullet nib was coated with 3 coats wipe on poly (dipped). Cap and finial are antler finished in CA/BLO.

Attachments

• c001.jpg
    c001.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Not even in the league

I don't even belong in this contest except for the fact that this pen does have a rifle casing in it. You all are out of my league but I thought I might want to post some comments so I entered the only thing I had made recently.

Attachments

• antler desk set 00000a.jpg
    antler desk set 00000a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 207

wudnhed

Honestly, I had a hard time finding the contest, finally found it under "Activities Manager". Maybe some people just don't know about it or can't find it.:confused:

BTW, there are some exceptional artists on this site, especially Nancy and Butch, ingenious, give yourselves a hand!!!!!!!! :wink::bananen_smilies046::rotfl:

Last edited:

THarvey

So far, I have only seen three that stayed with the theme of Red, White and Blue.

Too bad for the rest of you, LOSERS. You have nice pens, just wrong threme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom