Captive Ring Goblet- Poplar first try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Animyzo

Animyzo

So i been far too busy for the past 6 months to even step into my shop. I finally got shop time and attempted a project i been waiting on. A captive ring goblet.

I promised several family members for their upcoming weddings i will be making them the traditional two captive ring goblet for their wedding gift.

I finshed my first draft so to say, now I know how to do it. (bought a ring tool for the next time) The decision is what woods should I use, and what size blanks... (3x3x12 or 4x4x12)

Anyway here is my first attempt / draft.

Attachments

• 2014-09-07 16.26.17.jpg
    2014-09-07 16.26.17.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

That's very nice. I love the ring tool and it works very well. I want to get the two other sizes. I have the 3/8 size and it is nice..... I have done the interlinking rings but still have yet to make a goblet... Will have to try it once I get a shop set up. We are moving... Fay

wyone

So you need to share with us who have thought about taking on such a project what NOT to do, what you NEED to do and any other important lessons you learned along the way. I would love to do this for gifts, but have doubt in my skills at this point. That does not mean I will not attempt it, but always looking for good info. I have read a lot and watched videos, but first hand is always the best. :) :)

By the way AWESOME!!

Animyzo

My recommendation, get carbide tools. There is a guy on here that everyone recommends. I forget his name, but he makes awesome carbide tools for cheap. So much less sharpening required.

plantman

Well I am learning patience for sure. Having a LOT less failures from my pen turning. Sharpening, well that is something I need to work on. I still have not mastered that well

The only way to learn how to sharpen tools is by doing it yourself over and over again. This can get very costly if you practice on expensive tools. I suggest you stop at a few rummage sales and pick up some inexpensive tools, doesn't realy matter what kind of tools they are, they are just to practice on. One would have to write a book to cover all the ways to sharpen tools, so look in the library, on youtube, or purchase a book on the subject. Since I am a collector of old tools and sharpen many different kinds, these would be my suggestions. For flat tools such as plane irons, chisels. or any scrapeing tool, use Diamond inpregnated stones or bars, Water stones, a sharpening wheel that runs horizontally, with water, and can hold your tool at a set angle. For curved tools use a grinding wheel, curved diamond hones, or diamond files. Once you learn how to sharpen, you will be hooked, and nothing in the house or yard will have a dull edge. Jim S

Top Bottom