Campfire Whittlen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

People have been showing their carving lately and I must say I'm a want-a-be carver, but I don't have an eye or skill for it. This is what I do and I call it campfire whittling. This is a Cherry walking stick I started around 1985 on a camping trip at Cannon Beach, Ore. I cut the stick on my property. I only have worked on it on camping trips, while sitting around the campfire. I have used the same knife all the time. My wife bought the knife for me for Christmas right after we got married (1967). The new carrier I bought for a couple years ago from a guy that makes them and sell them on the Internet.

This is what is suppose to be on the stick so far (in case you can't tell what things are):

Old pirate at the top

rattlesnake under him. The snake wraps around to the back of his head with the rattlers on the back of his hat.

Then a crow (bird)

Under the space where I hold the stick is a bear, than a porpoise followed by a wood spirit.

I keep going back and try to improve on what I have done and am trying to come up with somethings to add. It have been with me on every hike and camping trip since I started it. The thing that amazed me me the most is it is the only thing I have made that the grand kids are fighting over who gets it when I hike off into the sunset. I might just take it with me on my final hike.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 400_1652.jpg
    400_1652.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 170
  • 400_1648.JPG
    400_1648.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 400_1643.JPG
    400_1643.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 400_1647.JPG
    400_1647.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 400_1646.JPG
    400_1646.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

That looks great Paul . I've tried to carve/whittle a bunch of times over the years and all I've been able to carve is my fingers . Good job .
Tell the grandkids that it goes to the one who does best in school ...including college .

el_d

Pretty cool Paul, dont know why your "bellyaching" about other peoples talents, you have some of your own buddy.:biggrin:

Now I wish I could make a CBG like yours. :wink:

Fred

I second the idea on awarding your fine walking stick to the one that does the best in school.

Carving is just something that I don't do well at all. I am like Butch in that I do carve my fingers a lot more successfully than anything else. Even have a few good scars to prove just how dangerous I can be with sharp objects.

Your story of when, how, and what all is a part of your 'stick" are all the beginnings for a great tale to told to the grand kids around the many campfires yet to come.

My suggestion ... Someplace on your 'stick' I would put your complete name and the date you began carving it ... and when 'your final hike' to higher places gets started, then let one, or all of your kids carve that in place.

Do keep up your work and whittle away for as long as your blade is sharp. :biggrin:

PaulDoug

I second the idea on awarding your fine walking stick to the one that does the best in school.

Carving is just something that I don't do well at all. I am like Butch in that I do carve my fingers a lot more successfully than anything else. Even have a few good scars to prove just how dangerous I can be with sharp objects.

Your story of when, how, and what all is a part of your 'stick" are all the beginnings for a great tale to told to the grand kids around the many campfires yet to come.

My suggestion ... Someplace on your 'stick' I would put your complete name and the date you began carving it ... and when 'your final hike' to higher places gets started, then let one, or all of your kids carve that in place.

Do keep up your work and whittle away for as long as your blade is sharp. :biggrin:

Great idea, but I may be walking down hill... and my blade aint been sharp in a long time....:frown::frown:

PaulDoug

Pretty cool Paul, dont know why your "bellyaching" about other peoples talents, you have some of your own buddy.:biggrin:

Now I wish I could make a CBG like yours. :wink:

CBGs are really pretty darn easy. get in with Cigarbox Nation and all the answers are there. They are as additive as pens.

Top Bottom