CA finish - incompatable woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Some times Ancient Kauri just soaks it up, and some woods that are extremely oily will cause the CA to fog or blush, it may not happen for a few months. I've had it happen the worst on Brazilian Ebony, and on some Padauk that wasn't cured long enough.

monophoto

My understanding is that one of the advantages of CA is that it builds to produce a high gloss.

In my [limited] experience, cherry does not respond well to CA. It finishes, and it looks nice, but it appears to soak in rather than build a thick, glossy coating. I can't comment on how well it ages.

ToddMR

Dry woods just take more layers. I like to personally use 2-3 coats of Thin CA first then the Med CA. I had great results when I did a Padauk mini bullet PSI kit a month ago or so. The pen still looks great with a nice shinny finish. I don't think I have done CA on cocobolo yet. I recently had good luck finishing a BOW pen too. I personally think using the accelerator followed by the thin ca helps. I could be wrong, but at least I have been lucky thus far with it.

PenMan1

Are there any woods that are not suited to a CA finish?

Most of the woods I turn when drinking are not suited to a CA finish:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, use CA acelerator or acetone to clean all oily woods (cocobolo, HRB, BOW, et. all). Additionally, with these woods, I omit the BLO.

Top Bottom