C/A and blackwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryankelley

Last night I tried glueing some plastic and blackwood together and I could not get the two to bond. I wiped the wood down with DNA then applied thick CA and let it sit about 20 min. Everything seemed fine moved on to the next piece did the same, went back to the first and when I tested the bond it just fell apart, the second held until I drilled for the tubes. What am I doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

It might have been what was in the bucket. Can you tell which side of the plastic the bond failed on? Just speculating here, but I don't think it would work to use motor oil bottles (as an example).

MattDaddy

I have found that some plastics (like bucket material) doesn't glue up very well at all. It tends to be softer and more "rubbery" and for some reason I haven't had much luck with it either. One thing I have found will sometime help is to put an accellerator on the wood side before joining the two pieces. I typically don't use it, but oily wood and/or plastic sometimes requires it to get it to stick.

For plastics segmenting, I have found the sheets of plastic they sell at hobby shops for model train buildings works very well. They sell it in many different thicknesses and in black and white. I have had absolutely no issues with bonding with this material.

alphageek

Former Moderator
My FIL works in plastics. I can tell you for sure that there is some plastics that CA won't work with. There are even some that won't bond well with epoxy. Those types of plastic only bond well to each other by 'melting' them together with a chemical or 'sonic' welding.

You might have some luck.. otherwise you could 'wrap' the piece untils its got the tube glued in and is trapped between glued wood for support.

Fred

If it has failed as you state, then the plastic is not compatibly with the CA and doubt that it can be "forced" regardless of what you do.

Find a different type of plastic and move on with the project. Try the plastics that MattDaddy suggests as they indeed work very well in this type of application.

skeeterbeater

From experience with other types of projects, polyethylene just doesn't glue to anything. If that is what your bucket is made of you'll have to try something else.

Jeff

Top Bottom