Buying used F- and C- clamps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whitehat1994

Greetings y'all!

I'm want to buy some used F and C clamps from a lady that is her husband's tools since has past away.

Looking at Lowes, Home Depot, harbor freight and woodcraft the prices vary.
I know it depends on the brand but what would be a good thought to determine a used price?

Offer 1/3 or 1/4 of new price? I guess how would you apply value to any wood working tool and it be fair to both parties.

I understand if the purchaser and seller are both happy after the purchase the it's a good price. But what price to began with?

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I typically feel like it's the sellers responsibility to come up with a starting price. I understand if the lady has no info or knowledge that makes it tougher. A situation like this often leads me to be buying way more than I would if I were going to a store. For example I might want to buy 6 clamps but if I have a chance to buy 30 on Craigslist I would be excited but if I only need 6 why would I pay more for 30 when 6 will do. I'm a bargain shopper with this stuff though. There's a fine line between a bargain and taking advantage of someone. When that someone is a widow I'm sure all of us acknowledge the importance of being overly honest with her. Depending on brand condition etc I would make an offer that I was comfortable with. Explain that they are most likely worth way more if they were to be sold separately, marketed well etc but that you have to make an offer that you are comfortable with be it 10, 25 or 50%. I also think there is a good chance she may need help with something around the house, moving something, repairing something etc that may mean a lot more than a few bucks to her for you to offer no matter what happens with the buying of the clamps.

plantman

After buying and collecting tools for over 60 years, this is my suggestion. Ask her for a price that she is happy with. Now you have a starting point !! If it sounds like it's to high, ask her if she will take less. If it seems to low, say so and offer what you are comfortable with. If the buyer is happy, and the seller is happy that what counts. Brand and condition are most important. If you take everything she is offering at a good price, leave your name and telephone number. As she finds more items that she wants to sell, she may give you a call. Many people will give you a single price for everything if you take it all. Sort out what you need or want and resell or donate the rest. Tax deductions for donations may give you the rest at little or no cost. Above all be fair in your dealings. Jim S

plantman

I typically feel like it's the sellers responsibility to come up with a starting price. I understand if the lady has no info or knowledge that makes it tougher. A situation like this often leads me to be buying way more than I would if I were going to a store. For example I might want to buy 6 clamps but if I have a chance to buy 30 on Craigslist I would be excited but if I only need 6 why would I pay more for 30 when 6 will do. I'm a bargain shopper with this stuff though. There's a fine line between a bargain and taking advantage of someone. When that someone is a widow I'm sure all of us acknowledge the importance of being overly honest with her. Depending on brand condition etc I would make an offer that I was comfortable with. Explain that they are most likely worth way more if they were to be sold separately, marketed well etc but that you have to make an offer that you are comfortable with be it 10, 25 or 50%. I also think there is a good chance she may need help with something around the house, moving something, repairing something etc that may mean a lot more than a few bucks to her for you to offer no matter what happens with the buying of the clamps.

Warren; :eek: You can never have enough clamps !!!!!!!! Jim S

Top Bottom