Butt-Ugly root stump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
What do you do when you have a big lathe and someone gives you a butt-ugly root-stump of a local shrub bush??

attachment.php

Well, if you are me you wear yourself out for the last 4 days and turn it into a bowl.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Manzanita root burl. 12 inches in diameter, 9 inches tall. And some of the most stunning wood grain I've ever seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It isn't complete yet, it only has sanding sealer on it. The base is a bit thick so needs to finish drying before I can final-sand it and finish it. Right now it is sitting sealed up in a paper bag to control how fast it dries to try to minimize cracking.

Thanks Larry (ldubia) for the wood!!

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,670
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 1.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 2.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,404
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 3.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 4.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,317
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 5.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 6.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 6.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,435
  • Manzanita Bowl Final - 7.jpg
    Manzanita Bowl Final - 7.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,443
  • P1000906.jpg
    P1000906.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,432
  • P1000907.jpg
    P1000907.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,363

Steve Busey

Greg,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that bowl has some serious holes in the sides (I'm surprised you didn't notice that). I'll be happy to take it off your hands for you.

:rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

Great job!

greggas

Greg...Nice Job..looks like alot of work..how's the back? I wish my neighbors gave me root burls...all I get is requests for free work!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Greg,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that bowl has some serious holes in the sides (I'm surprised you didn't notice that). I'll be happy to take it off your hands for you.

Great job!
If it doesn't hold soup, it's art. That's great looling art.

jskeen

Phenomenal! Some of the best wood I've seen in a while. I want to know if you got some pen blanks out of it too, and if they are for sale?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Awesome.
Next toy: Coring tools? Imagine a nested set of those. :)

A coring system is on my Christmas list. The deep hollowing system was on my Birthday list... But it is on its way to me now. I LOVE my wife!!

Nice looking bowl. Beautiful grain on that piece. I really hope you got some pen blanks out of that before making the bowl.

Sadly, no. There wasn't enough straight wood to cut a blank from. But I wish I could have. THAT would be MY permanent carry pen.

Greg...Nice Job..looks like alot of work..how's the back? I wish my neighbors gave me root burls...all I get is requests for free work!

The back is actually good. Padded floor mats. They do wonders. Now, my NECK... 4 days of turning wearing the Trend Airshield Pro... Very very sore!

I'd be interested in hearing the chucking strategy for that.

Initially I turned between centers using a multi-tooth drive spur on the head stock and a point on the tail stock. Turned a tenon at this point.

attachment.php

Stuck the tenon in Stonghold chuck using #3 jaws.
attachment.php

But the interesting one is reverse chucking it to turn the foot. Used Stronghold Jumbo Jaws, but only to center the bowl on the chuck. Then I used 6 strands of blue tape wrapped around until they grabbed onto themselves.
attachment.php

I later added two wraps just above the chuck to snug up the loose sections of the tape.

Phenomenal! Some of the best wood I've seen in a while. I want to know if you got some pen blanks out of it too, and if they are for sale?

Sorry!!

Attachments

• Chucking-1.jpg
    Chucking-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 367
  • Chucking-2.jpg
    Chucking-2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Chucking-3.jpg
    Chucking-3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 353

robutacion

What do you do when you have a big lathe and someone gives you a butt-ugly root-stump of a local shrub bush??

You pack it nicely and sent it to me...!:eek::wink::biggrin: just dreaming...!

Make no mistake, to achieve such results, one has to have 6 main things, in the order as follow;
- A decent lathe
- Proper tools
- Wood turning experience
- Lots of patience
- No fear (being half mad...!)
- Spare pair of underwear change

With all these requirement met, one MAY have the chance to finish it in one piece for the pic, instead of half a dozen "dints" in the shed walls and ceiling, and if you're unlucky, possibly a few bruisers...!:eek:

Apart from that, its easy...!:eek::wink:

Great job you've done there, you certainly got it...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Make no mistake, to achieve such results, one has to have 6 main things, in the order as follow;
- A decent lathe YUP
- Proper tools That is questionable. But I'm buying more.
- Wood turning experience A little, but not a lot. This was my first big anything, my first hollow form, my first natural edge (sorta), etc. Lots of reading though.
- Lots of patience At times. But need more! If it cracks because I didn't let it dry properly I'll be really sad.
- No fear Lots of fear. (being half mad...!) Ahhhh now you've hit the nail on the head.
-
Spare pair of underwear change Two or three, at least.

With all these requirement met, one MAY have the chance to finish it in one piece for the pic, instead of half a dozen "dints" in the shed walls and ceiling, and if you're unlucky, possibly a few bruisers...!:eek:

One big hint I was given and used. When turning the inside I first wrapped the outside completely in Blue masking tape and followed that with many many layers of duct tape. This to prevent those thin walls from flying off the bowl as it spins. Blue tape because it comes off easily, duct tape for strength.

Apart from that, its easy...!:eek::wink:

Great job you've done there, you certainly got it...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Thanks!

Ok Greg, while the ornaments were nice, I think we have the subject for the next meeting demo.

That is incredible.
Ken

Hmmm Bring your tents and sleeping bags. This would be a 4-day demo. :biggrin:

Greg!
Great work mate! and a awesome chunk of wood turned out fantastic what was your main tool for coring out this beast.

This is what I meant about "questionable" for having the right tools. I really didn't but I tried everything I had to try to hollow it out: 5/8" bowl gouge. 1-1/2" scraper. Jury-rigged EasyRougher (talk about scary; only used it for about 30 seconds). Machinist bar as gouge. Finally a friend came over and dropped off a 12" deep (not long) tool rest. THAT was the magic that let me succeed. So, yah, I guess it was having the right tools.

I guess the "main" tool was the bowl gouges. 5/8" for the outer 3 inches or so, then a 3/8" with a flatter grind on it for the rest.

Greg,

Awesome eXtreme turning. Great work of art!!!

Thank you!

And thank you everyone else that has had nice comments!!

I'm more than happy to answer any other questions people come up with. And I'll post more photos when it is done being finished.

Last edited:

ldubia

loan of butt-ugly wood

Greg,

Great job!

I talked to Greg after he sent me these pics and told he had done a great job and he could give it back to me now. He said no. :eek::eek::eek: I couldn't believe it. He won't give it back. :frown::frown:

Oh well.

I have another 35 lb beast for sale if anyone is interested.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful job!
Maybe you could start a world tour. I will volunteer to be the first stop.

Did you support the outside when you hollowed out the inside? Tape?

Indeed. When turning the inside I first wrapped the outside completely in Blue masking tape and followed that with many many layers of duct tape. This to prevent those thin walls from flying off the bowl as it spins. Blue tape because it comes off easily, duct tape for strength.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Final Photos for posterity.

Finished with 6 coats of Deft spray gloss lacquer and 1 coat satin lacquer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The cracks on the bottom were filled with epoxy mixed with coffee grounds.

attachment.php

bobleibo

I'm still trying to come up with a word that appropriately describes how amazing that piece is......still looking.
Many hats off to you Greg!

Fred

Greg ... This is yet another example of a very nice piece of art. Excellent job all the way around.

Is it not absolutely amazing what is hidden in God's creations for us to discover? You have found yet another one for the world to view. Thanks for your efforts!

Oh yea, be sure to sign this piece and date it.

Top Bottom