BUD SHOOTOUT Practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

While that was a bit of impressive driving, it doesn't change that he is a no class representative of NASCAR. The year that he smashed the guitar trophy to bits was when I lost any respect for him. With any luck Patrick will put him into the wall during the 500 next week.

++1

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
While that was a bit of impressive driving, it doesn't change that he is a no class representative of NASCAR. The year that he smashed the guitar trophy to bits was when I lost any respect for him. With any luck Patrick will put him into the wall during the 500 next week.

++1

Patrick can't drive, that's why she went to Nascar.

PTsideshow

Well she has become more of a money generating person for Nascar! Like the silly go daddy ads, or the other art/model style adverts for the other products she trying to selling.
I don't follow stick and ball sports nor the whine/cheese racing. Where she was only famous for running over crew people on pit road!

I do know that the other sports are driving mad by the amount of revenue that Nascar generates both on and off the track and with the souvenir sales.

There was a joke a couple years ago Major league baseball was "going to sell space on the uniforms for sponsors, and then have the outfielders run into to walls and burst into flame" to try to get the ratings and revenue up!

The talk about KB all the time to keep everybody, wound up so they hate KB. And it is going to be the same with DP. Like last night they had her commenting on the shoot out like she has driven in any. They are hoping she can bring in the heavy breathing younger crowd(males) and they stay to watch the race.

The biggest reason any of these drivers leave their respective series and countries and come to Nascar is in one word the "MONEY" even the worst driver, has a couple of souvenir trailers, selling merchandise.

A couple of years ago they did a story on it and said that even after expenses were paid the drivers were making multiple millions in profit.

As to the changes, they are trying to put butts in the seats, as last year most venues looked to be more empty than full!
I love Nascar, but I do lament and missing the good old days. Late 60's,70's and 80's :wink:
Don't want to see any one hurt but if both dropped cranks on pit road each week, I wouldn't mind.
:clown:

low_48

Money and sales are what this sport is really about, well, really what all professional sports is about. My company sponsors a NASCAR team. We were told years ago, that the sponsorship was really about having a hospitality tent at the race, not about what the car did. Our dealers use the event to bring in the big customers, show them a good time, all the while building customer loyalty.

Scott.tudhope

I used to hate Kyle Busch also. But after seeing his performance at a race in Texas (the one where he flipped off the official) I realized what a great driver he is. I've also enjoyed watching his temper tantrums on camera. He is definitely entertaining. Although since his recent marriage and his antics from the truck series last year he seems to have calmed down a bit.

There are several other drivers I would prefer to see do well but all in all I'd admit to being a Kyle Busch fan. I think he's good for the sport and a lot of fun to watch.

Danica is a whole other story. I'm glad she's only running 10 races rather than an entire season. I agree that she's a cash cow for NASCAR and not a true racer.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I'm an Open Wheel fan first, then all other forms of racing. I'm glad Danica will not be racing Indy Cars. Now Indy Racing will probably suffer from lack of coverage because she left, but it's nothing new to them. It will be interesting to see how long Nascar uses her for publicity, especially when she becomes a field filler.

PenMan1

Tony Stewart never behaved as badly as Kyle Bush currently acts. Yet Stewart had to go to anger managent school to keep his ride.

IMHO, this "bad boy" routine that NASCAR promotes is ruining the sport and driving away lifelong fans. Somehow, it was quite different for an Allison, Earnhardt, or Petty to "settle" driving disputes after a race's end. Back THEN, as much as today, some drivers just needed an azz beating. This was accomplished and everyone moved on . NOBODY FLIPPED OFF OFFICIALS OR SMASHED TROPHIES!

IPD_Mr

I agree Patrick is no Foyt or Earnhardt, but she has to have some talent or she would not be allowed to compete. There are several drives out of the 50 or so that fit in that category. As for her commenting last night I thought most of the questions were what are you seeing from a newcomers point of view and what are you learning. Honestly I don't think Stewart would have brought her on board if she couldn't drive. Remember you are talking about a team owner that said last year he would run over his own mother to win a race.

I too was a big open wheel fan, what do you expect, when I was a kid you could hear the cars running from our house on race day. But the good ole days are gone in indy car, and it was that way even before the split up and forming of IRL. Local heroes and teams on a shoe-string budget don't exist in today's market.

My favorite driver was Jim Hurtubise. He was the last person to try to qualify a roadster at Indy. I don't think he ever thought he could qualify in his last few years, but he did it for the fans. Here is what makes him a legend.
In 1964, after suffering serious burns in an accident during the Rex Mays Classic, in Milwaukee, doctors asked Hurtubise how he wanted his hands shaped permanently. "Just make 'em so I can hold a steering wheel," he replied.

PenMan1

Mike, I suspect that you are on to something with your analysis of Stewart Haas Racing. Not only would Tony put his mother in the wall to win, I also think he'd fire Grandma if she couldn't keep up with the other tire toters.

I think Stewart must have a reason for having Patrick. I also think that Smoke can get every bit of performance that Patrick has AND THAT he can push her into being a better driver.

OKLAHOMAN

Andy your right Smoke has his reasons for bring her on, first he thinks she has a lot to learn that he and Neman can and will teach her, second SPONCERSHIP, Go Daddy is picking up the entire bill, which gives them a TEST car on the track for 10 races .

IPD_Mr

I just took a look at Sunday's line-up. Kyle qualified in 28th, outside of row 14. Guess who qualified 30, outside of row 15, right on Kyles left rear bumper.

Patrick! This may be worth watching. :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I just took a look at Sunday's line-up. Kyle qualified in 28th, outside of row 14. Guess who qualified 30, outside of row 15, right on Kyles left rear bumper.

I sure wish I had that opportunity :biggrin:

BKelley

I used to enjoy STOCKCAR racing, it was fun. Now it has just sorta lost its glimmer.
I go back to the Flock brothers, Jack Smith, Fireball Roberts, Little Joe Weatherly and the Daytona 500 on the beach. Now that was racing. If you did not see the 1957 convertiable race at Daytona you aint seen a race. Fireball and little Joe driving '57 supercharged Fords kicking up rooster tails in the north turn, the Hudson on US 1 getting completely airborne on some of the rises and dips. Look way down the beach and see a puff of blue smoke and you knew that Petty's Plymouth had blown an engine. NASCAR today is great, but an old man is entitled to some fond memories.

Ben

randywa

I just watched the 1979 Daytona replay for about the 32nd time. Cale Yarborough is still not a kung fu fighter, and Bobby Allison still swears Cale was beating his nose on Bobby's fist. And Petty still wins from 3/4 lap behind. Every time I see it, it ends the same way.

Ambidex

Ya know what would really be cool?..Not for them to spend more time with a competitor that's is clueless on the comentary she's talking about..Oh wait..she's a female!!..Oh chit..this will be good for ratings although she totally sucks at anything but gocarts and a miracle{hintstupid driving from 5 drivers..win in IRL}Oh wait..she did a wonderful job of earning respect on the next trip up the busch trip..well named by the way..the only way she's got a ride is because she's a friggin female..and btw..next time she get's in someones face..treat her like anyone else..either run with the big dogs or keep your ass on the porch..can just see the next time she grabs a guy because they were racing...then he grabs her back..oh no..now it's abuse!
My daddy taught me never to hit a woman...if all men are this stupid and think it only works one way..keep drivin rickybobby..and boys..she's really..I MEAN REALLY NOT HOT..unless you love getting bit by skanky snakes with no personality

Ambidex

I sure wish I had that opportunity :biggrin:

Can't stand the bo..uh I mean man..but he has and I mean has earned the right to be there...and she has NOT...he is a dick...but he is a driver..and anyone that says he's not is a moron..I dislike the guy as much or more than anyone here...but he has proved he's a driver, albeit spoiled brat..if someone wrecks his ass..good for him..if someone keeps a line and danica thinks it's her line..awchit..they wrecked her..what a load of crap for ratings...

Ambidex

I agree Patrick is no Foyt or Earnhardt, but she has to have some talent or she would not be allowed to compete. There are several drives out of the 50 or so that fit in that category. As for her commenting last night I thought most of the questions were what are you seeing from a newcomers point of view and what are you learning. Honestly I don't think Stewart would have brought her on board if she couldn't drive. Remember you are talking about a team owner that said last year he would run over his own mother to win a race.

I too was a big open wheel fan, what do you expect, when I was a kid you could hear the cars running from our house on race day. But the good ole days are gone in indy car, and it was that way even before the split up and forming of IRL. Local heroes and teams on a shoe-string budget don't exist in today's market.

My favorite driver was Jim Hurtubise. He was the last person to try to qualify a roadster at Indy. I don't think he ever thought he could qualify in his last few years, but he did it for the fans. Here is what makes him a legend.
In 1964, after suffering serious burns in an accident during the Rex Mays Classic, in Milwaukee, doctors asked Hurtubise how he wanted his hands shaped permanently. "Just make 'em so I can hold a steering wheel," he replied.

If you think TS brought her on cause she's gonna win something, I think you undrerestimate Smokes abaility to see a free ride for advertising..he's a smart man, but would not comment on her true ability to run wc..or whatever they call it now..

Ambidex

k...I'm done...keep on listening to the booth..sure she'll be there giving expert commentary on something she's never done...:at-wits-end::rolleyes:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
k...I'm done...keep on listening to the booth..sure she'll be there giving expert commentary on something she's never done...:at-wits-end::rolleyes:

Deep breaths my friend!! I agree that she can't drive. Watch her in an Indy race. She's fast when out front, but in traffic is horrible. She also Bit**es alot on the radio. It's never her fault, but the team that set it up. On top of that, a few years ago while in Foyt's garage, i had a run in with her over an autograph for my niece. After that incident, I hope she crashes everytime she's in a race. Just my daily .02!! I've been around open wheel all my life and i'm glad to see her go. Besides Anna Beatrice is a way better driver than her:biggrin:

Top Bottom