Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woody350ep

woody350ep

Well, in the midst of my self-destructing chaos of a vase I am constructing, I managed to make my best pen yet, IMO. It is a Buckeye Burl I snatched outta the pen swap. This sucker had a MAJOR surprise. As you can see in the pics, there is a knot on the lower barrel. When I just got it to round, I felt it to check it out. It felt funny. Turned the lathe off and saw the tube. This knot was hanging on to this tube with some freak strength or something. It was as though someone somewhere KNEW the struggles I have been having this week and had some mercy on me lol. Anyhow, I did what I think was the right thing. It worked either way. I grabbed some of the shavings/dust that had been created laying on the ways and put a glove on. Squeezed some CA into the pile of dust and made kind of a slurry. I then pushed it into the voids and let them dry for a bit. Turned them down and it was solid. Lucky for me this is a burl and you wouldn't know up from down. Otherwise, I'm sure it would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

My best fit thus far, by far. My best finish without a doubt in my mind. And, I just love this pen.

It is a gift from my fiancee to her uncle for the same gift exchange I am making this other piece of crap for lol. He is a big-time union guy around here, and has a desk to work at. She figured he would be able to appreciate and enjoy a writing instrument such as this. So, without further ado. I present my Buckeye Burl Black Ti Cigar.

Comments/critiques please.

P.S. Anyone know if I can put something like a gel ink refill in this, and would any parker style gel refill work? Thanks.

100_1735800x600.jpg

100_1736800x600.jpg

100_1737800x600.jpg

Nickfff

Jason,
That finish looks great. Yes, you can put a gel in that. Any parker refill work. Anthony Turchetta aka Penworks has some nice Visconti gel refills that would work that write very nice.

Nicholas Frederick

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'd say you've been working on your finish :biggrin:

Looks good! BEB is great stuff.. never know what you're going to turn down to..

jttheclockman

WOW that is an outstanding pen. Nice fit and finish and the blank is a gem. Sometimes things just have a way to work out. Thanks for showing.

thewishman

Very nice work and great finish! What kind of finish did you use? It looks to be about an inch deep - my compliments!

Buckeye burl is the BEST, though it can also be the most challenging. It gives you plenty of practice filling in voids and blow-outs. I usually fill with the shavings, have used turquoise, brass filings, shavings from other woods - some guys use old coffee grounds.

woody350ep

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. The finish is 8 coats Med CA. I use a modifiied method of DJ's that was referred on another posting here a while ago. I turn to size using mandrel-less and calipers for dimensions. I then sand from 220-12000MM. Apply CA using paper towel and hitting with accelerator between coats. Then MM from 1500-12000 and 2 apps of Meguiars PlastX. I'd say the whole finish takes less than 10 minutes. I am still lacking in the turning area, so that takes most of my time right now. I am getting better at it. I think this was about the 25th or so I have done. Thanks again.

bitshird

Gorgeous pen Jason, Some how just looking at BEB you know it's going to put up a wicked fight, but you whipped the dickens out of that one and the finish is excellent, absolutely beautiful.

AlexL

Hi Woody, that is one beatuiful pen! The finish is great.

I use Parker gel refils from Staples or Office Depot and they work great

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks guys

Yeah Alex, that's what I got from Office Max. We are giving him the original as well in case he wants that instead.

Good move. Although most everyone seems to like the way a gel refill will
lay down ink, if anyone needs to use them on carbonless copies they don't
work so well. Too much ink?

Rcd567

Well,
You can quit making pens now. You've made the perfect pen and you'll never be able to better this one. (duh)

I can only hope to accomplish something close.

Good work.

Don Farr

WOW! That is probably one of the most beautiful pens I have ever laid eyes on. I wish I could get that great of a finish on mine.

GouletPens

Jason, the pen looks great. I'll be darned if more often than not, Buckeye Burl has some kind of knot or void that just LOVES to play peekaboo with the barrel. I get mine stabilized and it STILL does it all the time. It drives me nuts, but it's like when your kid throws a tantrum in the mall at Christmas and makes you want to pull your hair out, then after all the work is done you get to see them on Christmas morning and it's all worthwhile. This is the relationship I feel with Buckeye Burl!!!! It drives me crazy working with it but when it all comes together it makes me want another one!!!!:rolleyes:

Druid

Wow Woody, What a nice set of buckeys and really nice finish. The best I've seen you make...kuddo's to you my friend!!

Top Bottom