Bubinga Telesto

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a finial operated kitless pen . It is made from a beautiful piece of Bubinga I have been saving for the right kit . This blank has a beautiful curl and chatoyance that don't really show in the photo . For a finish it has 3 coats of thin CA as a sealer and 6 coats of Fast Drying Poly . It uses a cigar transmission on an Aluminum core and Brass kit parts with a custom Brass clip . The transmission presses into the aluminum core and the refill is changed by unscrewing the nib . It uses a parker style refill so it's not eligible for my kitless pen challenge but it is almost totally kitless .

1_telesto1.jpg

Shameless plug :bananen_smilies068:
I'm still running the Kitless Challenge in the Advanced pen turning forum , Please go check it out and maybe even contribute your own example of a kitless slimline .

Comments as always , are welcome .

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Nice work Butch. The bubinga was worth saving for that special project.

(Telesto and Calypso are known as "Tethys Trojan", as they circle Saturn in the same orbit as the moon Tethys. While Calypso is the "trailing Trojan", Telesto is the "leading Trojan") :wink: :)

ldb2000

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the kind words every one . I love this pen , it is my favorite of all the pens I've made so far . First I love the finial operation and this piece of Bubinga has soooo much character , I wish the photo would show it better , the curl is awesome and the rest of the blank has so much chatoyance it almost glows .

Gary , don't fight it .... go build one , they are a blast to do .

Keith , you get the Cigar (pen?) . The company name that me and the LOML picked is Saturn Pens so I have been naming my Custom pen lines after Saturns moons . I've been an amateur astronomer most of my life and have spent countless hours just looking in awe at Saturn . I was in heaven when Cassini slipped into orbit , and have followed the mission very closely .
The names of Saturn (Kronus) and some of it's moons come from the Greek Gods known as the Titans .

Top Bottom