The Blue Lagoon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

This is the second worthless wood pen made from alumalite and desert iron wood scraps.

I call it the "Blue Lagoon" :biggrin:

I won't bore you with more, I was just excited that these actually came out decent and wanted to share them.

Attachments

• ww2-blue-lagoon.jpg
    ww2-blue-lagoon.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 426
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Tex,

I'm a sucker for blue. You could cast a piece of dog crap in that blue and I'd love it. I'm glad to see worthless wood casting....the whole reason I love pen turning is because I can use scraps that most would throw away, and the casting allows you to use scraps that even other pen turners would throw away. How eco-friendly!!!!:good:

talbot

Thats a lovely pen, the sort of thing that's always going to attract comment, and of course, not easy to misplace.
regards, Bill

Texatdurango

George! looking very nice mate,also George what was your final finish used,l am guessing ca but l thought l would ask anyway.thanks in advance John.
John, the final finish is indeed CA. Because of the alumilite and wood together I had to change my sanding routine a little. Normally I would only sand the wood with 400 then 600 grit before applying the CA but with 600 grit, the resin was still dull looking so I wound up sanding the blank smoother with 800, then 1000 before applying the CA.

jskeen

Another winner here. If you want to dress up a pen like this, but still keep the simplicity of the jr gent kit over a statesman or emperor, you might try making a custom centerband and or finial from the corresponding part of the blank, so that the pattern will flow all the way from top to bottom.

bitshird

Real nice blank George, it looks like a beautiful pen to me, you Alumalite guys might be on to something, I may switch from PR and try it.

SherryD

Very nice pens. The tip on sanding to higher level is appreciated. Was this the same blue pearle ex as the first post and same method of blending the liquid dye and powder dye?

Charles

I agree a beautiful pen. Does anyone know of a link to a tutorial on this type of casting with the liquid and powder. Enjoy casting just haven't seen this. Thanks

Texatdurango

I agree a beautiful pen. Does anyone know of a link to a tutorial on this type of casting with the liquid and powder. Enjoy casting just haven't seen this. Thanks
Charlie, If memory serves the Houston group is meeting in a week or two, surely someone from that area does casting. Maybe a note to the group to see who might volunteer to do a demo.

I picked up my tips from Curtis and Eugene in San Marcos. I've never gone searching in our library but surely someone has put something together.

If no one wants to do a demo, perhaps I'll put a few photos together with some verbage sharing my experience but I've only done two pours so far and would be apt to pass on some bad info.

Charles

Yes there are several. I will see if a Bubba event is in the works around here. I have casted money, snake skins, cactus, denim, etc. but not pieces of wood and dye colors. Thats what is amazing with the symmetry you achieved with the color and the wood.

Top Bottom