Brass Segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I got some brass sheet metal and ordered my first Aero kit . I believe the wood I used is Gray Box , that I got from Fred (BigShed) in Australia . I can't be sure , but it has some nice curls in it . Still not getting these joints just right yet , but still trying . :redface: Thanks for looking !

Attachments

• IMG_0608-1.JPG
    IMG_0608-1.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 124
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

It's a nice clean design that compliment the wood and the kit very nicely Chuck. How fast you running the saw? I like slow and easy. You get cleaner cuts that remove more material when the speed is lower. On my saw I run about 30% all the time, and the tension should be real tight, like if you push on the front of the blade with minimal force, it should not go back more than a 1/6th to an 1/8 max. Tension and slower speed will allow the blade to cut the wood without any bowing of the blade, so you stay totally vertical. You do not push sideways on the blade ever, so you are only just feeding in from the front nice and easy, and when you are making a turn you are still just feeding in from the front because you turn the wood a bit, not the blade. If you are feeding at the same rate it is cutting, you won't get any of those uncontrolled jagged edges where you went off line a bit then tried to correct yourself. If you do go off line a bit, come back to the line gradually instead of abruptly..this way you won't be able to even tell that you arced out a bit further than planned. An abrupt correction is going to become noticeable not only to the eye but to the metal as well, because the metal can't bend sharp enough back and forth through the corners.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks James!

Thank you for the tips Jeff ! I actually cut these with my 10" bandsaw . But , I may have to go back to the scroll saw and , try your suggestions .

workinforwood

yep, the bandsaw is too thick. In order to maintain alignment, the width of the blade and the width of the metal needs to be the same, or as close to the same as possible. Bandsaw is much harder to control too..you get those wavy back and forth motions as you cut forward. Scroll saw is a much funner machine. Can't take a finger either...but can still cut you enough to make you curse!

Top Bottom