Brass bolt action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Waluy

Waluy

This 24k gold 30 Cal Bolt action was dressed in brass for a customer request. Working the brass was definitely a learning experience.
1452178_546135208809848_532034713_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Steve, That's a Classy, Brassy Pen.
You tend to go where others fear to tread,
To undertake that task would be too frightening for most of us, mere mortals.
Appreciate your Skill,
Congratulations.
Brian.

Waluy

Wow, 3/4"? You had to remove a lot of material didn't you?

Yeah I probably wouldn't have started at 3/4" but I would have had to wait longer to get 5/8" and the customer wanted it by Christmas.

Steve, That's a Classy, Brassy Pen.
You tend to go where others fear to tread,
To undertake that task would be too frightening for most of us, mere mortals.
Appreciate your Skill,
Congratulations.
Brian.

Thank you but I am definitely still a mere mortal myself I can't even begin to rival some of the amazing talent I have seen on here yet.

Did you turn it down on a metal lathe? To me it is "sticky" when you are holding the tool, not as bad as copper though.

Nope turned on my "trusty" old craftsmen wood lathe, its twice my age and is about due for some tune up parts (new headstock spindle and bushings/bearings and a new pulley) but it gets the job done. I didn't have any problems with it being sticky, just sharpened my tools frequently.

Last edited:

SSGMEADER

if i may ask.. why did you put a tube in since it was solid metal already?

I'd echo this question. Why not just caliper the ID of the brass tube and drill the solid brass hole to match- this would prevent barrell failure from EVER happening because there is none. Im just curious if there was reason that i dont know because of my inexperience.

Last edited:

Waluy

if i may ask.. why did you put a tube in since it was solid metal already?

I'd echo this question. Why not just caliper the ID of the brass tube and drill the solid brass hole to match- this would prevent barrell failure from EVER happening because there is none. Im just curious if there was reason that i dont know because of my inexperience.

After talking to people on here in this thread Brass pen question I took the advice of far more experienced people like Skiprat and Johnnycnc and put the tube in since I didn't have a metal lathe to make sure the drilled hole would be exactly the correct dimension.

Top Bottom