Brass and Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Roy_Quast

Roy_Quast

2 router bits, 2 hold down clamps and some scrap wood to make a new jig.....$75.00.

1 blank of ebony, 1 sheet of brass and a little CA glue....$30.00.

Making a blank that I was told "could not be made".........

PRICELESS

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7472.jpg

What do you think?
Ti gold click sierra, .010 brass and ebony.
Roy

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think I hate you. :tongue:

I finally tried segmenting with ebony and copper. I thought it would
look good. It DOES until you start drilling.

This looks fantastic. Did you tie it all together before drilling? Wrap it in
tape while cutting?

I'm trying to picture your jig for this.. it looks like you're cutting on two axis
at once?

Super looking pen..

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautifully done! Your mind is a creative place and your mind's eye knows how to bring it to practical fruition! WELL DONE! Super job!

My only criticism is that you shoulda used that for your pen as an application for the Pen Makers Guild and sent it there first!

george

How, how, how .....
How do you GET THE IDEA to make something like this ?

Great work .... I second the idea about possible turorial. Doe I understand if you will prefer to keep the process for yourself. Congrats !!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
nicely designed, well executed, could the spacing at the top and bottom of the blank be better balance? Great job.

Texatdurango

.....Making a blank that I was told "could not be made"......... What do you think?

I think it looks really nice! I also think there are more "Can't do" rather than "Can do" attitudes running around so you were smart not to listen to whover told you that you can't!

I noticed the same thing with the spacing though and think a more centered design would look nicer.

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I hope more people tell you "you can't do _______" because the results of your stubbornness and will to prove them wrong are absolutely fabulous!!!

Gorgeous pen!! Thanks!
GK

Bree

That's pretty awesome. No clue as to how you would have created that blank. I guess I join your eager fans waiting to hear the answer. How did you do that?
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jttheclockman

Roy first off let me say then pen shown and the one in the tutorial are outstanding. Very well done. next to the tutorial, this too was well explained and the photos make so easy to follow. That is some work involved in making these and should reap a nice reward. I am sure you will not be getting too many takers on trying to duplicate this but the offer is there as you laid out the tutorial.

This brings me to the main point of my writing this. You are without question a gentleman with great values in that you are willing to share this info with all of us and not hide behind some copyright rules. You are an example of what this forum is all about in every sense of the word. To put your work up for us all to see is commendable. There was alot to make this style of pen and it took quite an effort to put together a tutorial for us all to enjoy and get a feel of how this was made. For this you stand up and take a bow. The work is even mopre enjoyable now that we get to see the behind the scenes effort. I know I am one who would like to thank you for showing the pens and also for sharing with us all the idea and the tutorial. Nice work. By the way this needs to be put in the library with you permission of course and I hope that it does.

Roy_Quast

Roy first off let me say then pen shown and the one in the tutorial are outstanding. Very well done. next to the tutorial, this too was well explained and the photos make so easy to follow. That is some work involved in making these and should reap a nice reward. I am sure you will not be getting too many takers on trying to duplicate this but the offer is there as you laid out the tutorial.

This brings me to the main point of my writing this. You are without question a gentleman with great values in that you are willing to share this info with all of us and not hide behind some copyright rules. You are an example of what this forum is all about in every sense of the word. To put your work up for us all to see is commendable. There was alot to make this style of pen and it took quite an effort to put together a tutorial for us all to enjoy and get a feel of how this was made. For this you stand up and take a bow. The work is even mopre enjoyable now that we get to see the behind the scenes effort. I know I am one who would like to thank you for showing the pens and also for sharing with us all the idea and the tutorial. Nice work. By the way this needs to be put in the library with you permission of course and I hope that it does.

JT....Thank you for your kind words. In my mind I feel that if I help someone today and he takes off and runs with an idea of mine, tomorrow he will teach me a thing or two. This way we all help move the pen turning hobby, expertise, knowledge, along. I would hope that if anything is learned from this tutorial that it would be that anyone can segment a pen blank as much as they want and NOT have to worry about blowing up the blank while drilling it by simply adding wood to all 4 sides of the blank.
If anyone wants to put this tutorial in the library...be my guest.
Roy

wood-of-1kind

Thank you Roy for sharing your 'masterpiece'. Your tutorial gives a great insight on how you created your work and for that you have our thanks. With or without copyright, your work is not easy to duplicate, but it should be marvelled. Can't say enough, except 'stunningly beautiful' to look at.

Bree

Geez Roy... you must have the patience of Job!! That is incredible. Great work.
:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom