Box Elder Burl Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmhoff10500

Jmhoff10500

Almost a year ago i posted this thread that had a roughed out bowl blank and i finally turned it this weekend! Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

Update:

The Dimensions are as follows:
Outside Diameter - 9.5"
Inside Diameter - 8.5"
Wall Thickness - .5"
Height - 4"
Finish - Mike Mahoney Walnut Oil

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

You gotta give us some more info!!! What are the bowl's dimensions: Height, circumference, wall thickness? Finish?

I like the shape and the bark inclusions definitely add character. I'm impressed that they stayed in, honestly. I've got a little Box Elder Burl bowl that I've been working on off and on for the past couple of weeks and all of the inclusions have fallen out. Nice job.

Jmhoff10500

Thanks! i was surprise at the inclusions as well, not only did they stay in but they sanded smoother that the actual wood!

David Keller

Nice shape and beautiful wood, Jonathan. It looks like you've got a little tearout along the sides that could use a little more sanding, but you're off to a good start... You can try wet sanding with the walnut oil which often helps with soft woods like box elder.

nava1uni

Nice looking bowl. I sand with Mike's walnut oil and it really makes a difference in the finish. If you put the bowl in the sunlight, it's the UV rays, the finish hardens and you can get a nice sheen to it.

Top Bottom