Bowl turning chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

I've been around this site awhile but just recently purchased a lathe. I've seen several videos on bowl and vessel making and they use a sort of jawed chuck on the drive end. From what I've seen by looking they are Talon or Nova brands and they are expensive. Is there a less expensive brand/type? Do these even fit a Jet 1220? Or just bigger lathes? What would someone with my lathe purchase?

Thanks for your help...sorry for being a pain.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

You want a chuck with a 1x8 thread to thread on your headstock...chucks are expensive..try a small nova or PSI woodworking has cheaper types.

stolicky

I got the NOVA Precision Midi Chuck over a year ago for my 1014i and it has worked fine. Its supposedly rated for turning bowls up to 12" in diameter. Part of the reason I got it was because it is relatively light weight compared to other options. That means less wear and tear on the lathe and bearings. It is on sale at Woodcraft right now: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145899&FamilyID=5185

Its not the overly heavy duty, but it has been good enough for me. I have turned bowls up to 8" in diameter plus peppermills around 10" or so. Good luck.

NC_Horn

I also purchased the Wood River chuck from Woodcraft. I have no complaints with this chuck either. I don't have an issue with the way thatthe rods are used to tighten the chuck jaws - I was more concerned whith those that use a chuck key as I know how it can be if you don't get the chuck tightned properly with the keys on a drill. Haven't used any of the others though.

Duane

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I second the PSI Barracuda. I have it, a Nova, and a Oneway. While I like my Oneway best the PSI has the advantage of coming with several sets of jaws which you'll quickly fine desirable. Get the cole jaws to go with it and your all set. Even though I like my Oneway best I still use the PSI regularly.

Hayseedboy

Last edited:

byounghusband

I bougth my 4 jaw chuck from Grizzly Part number H6265 for $89 a few years ago ($99 now) and the 1" pin jaws and large dovetail jaws for that chuck are $19.95 each... For $140, you can't go wrong.... I haven't needed any other jaws in almost 3 years... I have had ZERO problems with these either!!

Go to Page in Grizzly catalog for this chuck and jaws...

Rcd567

I got the NOVA Precision Midi Chuck over a year ago for my 1014i and it has worked fine. Its supposedly rated for turning bowls up to 12" in diameter. Part of the reason I got it was because it is relatively light weight compared to other options. That means less wear and tear on the lathe and bearings. It is on sale at Woodcraft right now: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145899&FamilyID=5185

Its not the overly heavy duty, but it has been good enough for me. I have turned bowls up to 8" in diameter plus peppermills around 10" or so. Good luck.

Well, after a few days of research, I ordered this chuck. On sale and FREE shipping was too good to pass up. Thanks for all the replies and guidance.

Check out PSI Mini Grip set or Utility Grip. # sets in one.

I have 3 of the PSI chucks.. one a smaller size and the other two the same slightly larger.. forget the designator models and such right now, and also bought the jumbo cole jaws for one of the larger chucks... except for the awkward tommy bars, no problems with any of them.

Top Bottom