Bowl Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

I have a surplus of wood my uncle gave me a couple months back, most in board form. I was thinking about cutting some pieces in squares and layering them on top of each other and clamping them in my vice to build a bowl blank to turn. My question is, what do you feel the best glue to do that would be? I have some Titebond III wood glue, but wasn't sure if that would hold up to when I start turning a bowl. I thought once it was all set and dried for a couple days I would cut it into a circle on the band saw. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russell Eaton

+1 for the titebond. It will make it a lot easier to round the edges over before you put it on the lathe. In the past I have turned bowls glued with the same glue 20 hours after the piece was glued. I think the directions say 24 hrs.

Titebond original(i think its the red cap) is all that is needed unless you have oily exotics.I have found I get more open time with the original then the blue cap.The wood fiber will fail before the glue its self.I would wait 24 hours before you turn,but you can unclamp it after an hour or two,it just takes a while to fully cure. Have fun,Victor

Top Bottom