Bowl #5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Still got a lot to learn about tool control, especially on inner surfaces. This was originally designed to be a footed Guacamole bowl for my wife. Sadly I couldn't figure out how to cut the base to make the feet and my wife says it is too deep to be a Guac bowl. :frown:

Koa, about 6" diameter and 4-1/2" tall and about 1/2" thick.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Any suggestions on how to cut the rim neatly to make feet would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Bowl51.jpg
    Bowl51.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 544
  • Bowl53.jpg
    Bowl53.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 536
  • Bowl52.jpg
    Bowl52.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 538
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

for a newbie, you done good..go to libary & ask them to get you books on turning..or buy books..being able to see and prop up in shop by your lathe sure helps..lots of dvd's availabe too

Why does it have to have feet?? I like the base as you have it.

The only way I can think of to cut feet would be to set the bowl in some kind of indexing jig so it doesn't turn, then carefully cut away portion of the base for the feet, then you'll need a dremel tool or something to sand the feet smooth. JMO.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,

Why feet? Because she was drooling over a little footed stone Guacamole bowl at the store. She didn't buy it so I was trying to make her one just like it but out of prettier material. :tongue:

GK

Art Fuldodger

Too deep for a guac bowl? You obviously don't make enough guac!

You could do feet simply, like folks have done for all of history up until the last couple of decades. Take a protractor, mark out lines, cut, carve, shave, sand, and apply finish.

Very nice bowl, BTW.

CaptG

Nice looking bowl. Can you remount in your lathe and part off some of the top to make it shorter? As for legs, bandsaw or scrollsaw some out and glue or peg them to the bottom rim. Just a suggestion.

workinforwood

Looks good to me. I'm not that experience with bowls. I am going to say that if you wanted to make feet for this or something else in the future, I'd use a router. Flip the bowl upside down, draw a template and then cut out the template, then use a router with a template guide bushing to hog away the unwanted material.

louisbry

I'm thinking you might be able to outline the desired feet, hog out material with a dremil or similar tool and finish up with s spindle sander.

nava1uni

Greg,
That is a real nice bowl. For the amount of guacamole that we eat it is a perfect size. I can just drive across the bridge and pick it up so you don't have to look at and feel bad because it doesn't have any feet. Let me know when to come get it.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Louis, That was sort of what I was thinking but I don't think I could get the curve to match anymore and, honestly, I'm afraid to screw it up.

Cindy, You WISHhhhhh.:biggrin: She may not use it for guac but she still likes it. Actually, last time we talked about guac she said she is afraid she might scrape the wood. As good an excuse as you can get...

GK

Top Bottom