Harley2001

Here is a blue pepper mill it's 8in also

Attachments

• blue 001.JPG
    blue 001.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 689
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

What did you use for a mold? Must have been a big'un!

Was the mold cast vertically?

Pressure applied?

That has a fine shape to it....just wanted to know some of the other details too!

Scott (big'un) B

broitblat

Great looking mill. Even without the wood, I really like the color and figure of your resin, and the wood just makes it that much more interesting. Nice shape on the mill, too.

-Barry

Bellsy

Nice work on the mill Harley.

Are you casting it with PR or Alumilite?

I have poured a few of these in PVC with Alumilite and never had a mold crack yet. 3 pours will have some sort of line showing each layer I would think. I can't see it in your cast though.

Dave

SDB777

Yes it was vertically and I used 3in x8 PVC and poured it in 3 stages if you don't it will build up to much heat and crack

Good to know...thanks for sharing that info!

Might have to find all those cherry burl throw-aways I was saving, then get me a new 'mold'.....

Scott (eye candy, everytime I look) B

bitshird

Very nice idea, I've wondered about trying to cast a blank for a pepper mill. given the mass of the PR how many drops of MEKP per OZ. With out the wood, I would think 1-1/2 or slightly less. I guess the wood would take up enough of the PR though that you probably need to use 3 drops per OZ ??

Harley2001

I used 4 per oz that way the next day it was still a little tricky so you get a good bond
And the less you use the slower it takes and then the heat is not has bad.

TonyBal

Yes it was vertically and I used 3in x8 PVC and poured it in 3 stages if you don't it will build up to much heat and crack

I am still learning about casting. Could you elaborate on what you mean by 3 stages? I assume you poured 1/3 at a time & then waited for each to cure to a certain point, but I don't see any seams between the pourings. ????:confused:

Harley2001

Yes you have to do it in three pours a little at a time because it builds up to much heatso take your time make sure you mix the same amount each time even the color or you will see the lines from the pours.

Top Bottom