BLO Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrenjttu

What is the proper method for a BLO finish. I had a piece of blood wood that I darkened with BLO and I was ondering about using it as a finish. Also I love the poly finish. Can I use poly on top of BLO? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The poly should stick to BLO .. I think there's BLO in the poly anyway.
You can use oils as a finish, but make sure they'll dry. Tung and BLO work
just fine. Some use Danish oil.

I think you put it on, let it sink in and then wipe it off. Then when it dries,
apply another coat.

Some mix satin poly with BLO and naptha to get it further into the wood
and help speed drying. If you sand fine enough and then use a mix
of those three, you'll get a beautiful finish.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I agree with NL88, I have used poly over BLO on flat work, and tung oil too. I thnk the key to using it on pens is to let it cure long enough before sanding and handling.

chriselle

My hat is off to you guys trying to do this type of finishing. I wish I had the patience. I...just.......can...not...resist....touching.....it. :biggrin:
As it is now CA takes way too long.

Texatdurango

What is the proper method for a BLO finish. I had a piece of blood wood that I darkened with BLO and I was ondering about using it as a finish. Also I love the poly finish. Can I use poly on top of BLO? Thanks

I don't know that there is a proper way of doing anything, especially when it comes to finishing wood.

Ever since I switched to the Minwax Polyurethane finish many years ago, I use a simple formula to dilute it for hand rubbed finishes. I don't see where it wouldn't work for pens as well.

Depending on the wood I am using I mix either 3 or 4 parts poly to 1 part BLO and one part naptha, which evaporates much faster than mineral spirits. Mix up a little and give it a shot, you may like the results!

Wild Turkey

I will add my two cents worth here. I use a mixture of BLO-Tung Oil and a wipe on urethane, similar to what David Marks uses on Wood Works. Only have used this on flat work, but should work just great on pens. Maybe adding the naptha to this mixute would even help some in the drying.

Some of the heavier, denser woods, especially the rosewoods, don't take oil well... I put BLO on a couple of bottle stoppers and wine glass stems that I turned from Bocote... after a week, it was still tacky. On the other woods I had used it was dry and cured, but not on the Bocote. After a good buffing, it seemed to cure and was smooth and slick to the touch.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A less labor intensive way to apply an oil finish is to soak the pen barrel in the oil for a couple hours, take it out, wipe off the excess, let it dry for a week, and then buff with any 3-wheel system after it is dry. Actual time is very short, but you will have to wait a few days between the aplication and the buffing. Works for any oil finish.

Clean out the inside of the barrels with a rifle cleaning brush of appropriate size that is spun in a drill.

Top Bottom