Blank making help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Today I helped a young man (age 32) bury his father's ashes.
When we were digging the grave and installing the tombstone, we had to cut out several large roots from a near by pine tree.

As we were cutting them I began to think how to clean, dry and cut these roots for pen blanks. I wish to make several pens for this man and his sibs along with his mother. Total 6 in all. That isn't my problem.

My problem is how do I go about getting these green roots dry? I have dry brushed all the dirt off that I can. I have cut the ends and sealed them with latex paint and now have then in a storage shed in the shade. Is there anything else I can do or should do to now or just let them dry in the heat of the summer?

Thanks for all the advice.

jttheclockman

Something that small you can dry in a toaster oven. Do not microwave it. This will add internal stress cracks. What I would do is weigh each blank and keep a recording. Then set the oven on a low temp and let them cook for an hour and then let cool. weigh them again and record. Do this again and again till there is no more weight loss. Just do not over heat them. Nice even heat. This is the way I would do it so take it for what it is worth to you. I have had success with this. :):) That would be a nice touch for sure.

Top Bottom