Black walnut segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tseger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tseger

this is my latest segmented pen made from black walnut and spalted pecan. This is my first attempt at scallops. Yall let me know what you think, good, bad or otherwise. Anything you would do different?
Did I do the scallops right? Thanks for looking and especially for the ones that leave feedback. Tim

This is a close up of the spalted pecan

This is a close up of the scallops. Remember, this was my first attempt, so tell me what I did right AND what I did wrong.
tn_scallops_fix.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

If I could see anything wrong, I would mention it but it really looks great to me. That spalted pecan looks great! Great job on the segmenting as well.

John

alxe24

The choice of woods looks very nice, the pen looks great. Not to mantion the finish. I'm sure it will peel off by tomorrow[}:)] Seriously it looks great.

Rifleman1776

You asked for feedback. Your craftmanship is top notch, beautiful work. But, I am not a fan of mixed media. To me, it looks like something made from left over scraps, albiet beautiful scraps. A beautiful wood stands on it's own. Mixing different woods detracts from each.

GaryMGg

I love the quality of the fit and finish, and the scallops look good. For me, there's too harsh a transition of grain where the pecan meets the walnut on the loower barrel.
It's possible a piece of picguard or credit card would've helped but the two woods are so different that even that's a long shot.
It's a very subjective area.

Gary

gerryr

I sort of agree with Frank, but only sort of. Let me say the workmanship looks first rate. I don't care for the choice of woods. The spalted Pecan is great looking wood, but I think it should either be on it's own or the Black Walnut needs to occupy significantly less space. The upper barrel doesn't match the lower barrel very well because of the veneer separating the two pieces of Walnut. The scallops are very hard to see because they were done on a really shallow angle. It looks like the angle was around 10-15 degrees. You might try increasing the angle to 20-30 degrees so they show more.

tseger

Thanks for all the responses. I agree totally about the abrubt transition on the lower barrel. My thought was to put another row of scallops at the transition. The only problem is.... that thought came too late. I have just returned from the Dr. who says I have pnemonia, so soon as I get back on my feet I'll start another. The changes will be a shorter segment of walnut on the lower barrel with scallops seperating the transition from pecan to walnut. Again thanks for ALL the coments, that's the way I learn. Tim

jkirkb94

Actually I feel that segmenting can be ok at times. Having accidently blown a section of pen before, I have added new wood or acrylic that compliments the other section. This has saved if not improved the pen. The key word is compliments.[:)] From what I can see, you have a lot of segments, this seems to make it look "busy". Hey, I think it is fantastic that you are asking for feedback. Feedback will only help us all improve our craft!! Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom