Black Ti Retro Jr with JohnU's Jungle Grey Fowl Feathers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hello guys,

Here is a new one! As some of you probably noticed, I really like black titanium kits. This Jr Retro in Titanium is my new favorite kit, simple, classy.

I ordered two sets of the jungle grey fowl from JohnU, I started turning first kit and I literally explosed the cap blank while turning it, I was using my carbide tool and I am not really used to acrylic/carbide tools. I know when I am tired I better stay off the lathe but today I went anyway.

At that point I was really annoyed, the two kits he prepared were a bit different, so I figured I would use the cap blank from the other kit. To me it looks nicer with different patterns on the cap and the pen! :)

This one will go in my collection, pictures to follow and clicky the thumbnail.

Thanks,

Charles

Without sun

With late afternoon sun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Ruby pen turning said:
Beautiful pen (Retro is my favorite) Beautiful blank and beautiful picture.
What is the trick to getting a pic like that. Or is it expensive photo software?

Thanks!

What you need:

-200$ point and shoot camera without a tripod.
-a shaky hand.
-good lighting, just go outside!
-take 250 pictures find the ones with best focus/you like the most.
-Photoshop or whatever open source image editing software, Gimp would work.

Select the pen, refine the edges, smooth them, inverse selection, gaussian blur and remove saturation, add logo, voilà. It works for me.

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

PenPal

Charles,

In spite of unrelated two blanks they mate as if they were from the one IMHO giving that beaut pen to be proud of. In adversity you have triumphed.

Lovely colours and presentation.

Kind regards to you in Canada. Peter.

PR_Princess

Ruby pen turning said:
Beautiful pen (Retro is my favorite) Beautiful blank and beautiful picture.
What is the trick to getting a pic like that. Or is it expensive photo software?

Thanks!

What you need:

-200$ point and shoot camera without a tripod.
-a shaky hand.
-good lighting, just go outside!
-take 250 pictures find the ones with best focus/you like the most.
-Photoshop or whatever open source image editing software, Gimp would work.

Select the pen, refine the edges, smooth them, inverse selection, gaussian blur and remove saturation, add logo, voilà. It works for me.

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

ROTFLMAO!!! Is that all?? Charles however you did it, the photo is great. I really like that effect it gives the pen.

And as Peter said, had you not pointed out that the two halves were from different sets I never would have known....Great looking pen!

Woodlvr

Beautiful pen Charles. Thanks for telling us how simple :rolleyes: it is to take such nice pictures. My favorite kits are Black Titanium also. It makes it difficult to sell pens sometimes because not everyone likes the dark kits.

Pete275

Charles, Awesome pen! Love the colors with that kit. Also thanks for helping me with my photo problems, the tutorial is fantastic. Just kidding. Keep up the great work.

Wayne

Last edited:

mrburls

Very nice looking pen Charles. This is one of Johns feather blanks I really like. They are just so cool looking.

Keith "mrburls"

wizard

Charles, I always look forward to doing the "clicky"thing:biggrin: whenever I see one of your posts...and as usual...A STUNNING PEN! John's blanks are awesome. Thanks for showing. Doc

JohnU

Looks great Charles! Sorry to read about the blowout. I'll send you another top when I get one done. You cant have a pen without a top. Lol

CharlesH

JohnU said:
Looks great Charles! Sorry to read about the blowout. I'll send you another top when I get one done. You cant have a pen without a top. Lol

It's okay John! Don't worry about it, I was quite mad and I tossed the lower barrel as well. The fault is on my end!

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

Top Bottom