Black Ash Burl Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

This bowl is about 7 1/2 inches across from a nice piece of Black Ash burl I got from Bad Dogs Burl. It is finished with Wipe On Poly.

-Barry

Attachments

• Black Ash Burl 1a.jpg
    Black Ash Burl 1a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 638
  • Black Ash Burl 1b.jpg
    Black Ash Burl 1b.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 737
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job, I might pick up some on Saturday, my AAW chapter is having a day trip there to buy some burls and have a BBQ.

bitshird

I am soooo glad there isn't a place like that near me, I would constantly be broke.
That is a beautiful piece of burl and a nice fun way to spend time, That is truly quality time

crabcreekind

I am soooo glad there isn't a place like that near me, I would constantly be broke.
That is a beautiful piece of burl and a nice fun way to spend time, That is truly quality time

I would have to agree, i would be broke. I have a wood place i go to in oregon, its like an exotic wood candyshop. but its far away.

The bowl looks great!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful piece of wood!
You are lucky guys to have such neighbours...

With all of the beautiful wood work I have seen in European museums, I would have expected the traditional crafts to be well represented in both supplies and crafters. European countries seem to do a pretty good job of forest management, so I would once again have expected good availability of beautiful wood for crafting.

wizard

Beautiful piece of wood and you made a gorgeous piece of art out of it! It's amazing to me how many burl eyes are present in wood! Doc

chrisk

Beautiful piece of wood!
You are lucky guys to have such neighbours...

With all of the beautiful wood work I have seen in European museums, I would have expected the traditional crafts to be well represented in both supplies and crafters. European countries seem to do a pretty good job of forest management, so I would once again have expected good availability of beautiful wood for crafting.

Eric,
You're touching on a matter who hurts...
Shortly for first I don't want to infest this thread with off topic matters and secondly I'm just coming back from the surgery (carpal tunnel release surgery).
Of course, even if a lot of crafts aren't what they used to be in the past, we still have a plethora of suppliers and crafters. Well, as far as the seconds are concerned, a lot of them aren't professionals anymore, but like a lot of us exerting their craft as a passion. As for the suppliers, they still exist but more and more reselling DIY stuff. In sum, IMHO what is generally missing is entrepreneurialism, serious professionalism and inventive spirit. All of the virtues I find in the US and also in such European countries like the UK. To say the least, when I want to buy some burls here, I have not a lot of choices. As for the prices...

If you or other colleagues are interested, I could initiate a thread in the "Casual conversation" entity in order to discuss the problems we encounter here with the European suppliers (wood, pen and woodturning project kits, etc.).

broitblat

We have a variety of wood suppliers in the area, but no place in my immediate stomping grounds where I routinely find nice burls. It's a good thing, too, or I'd never have any money for tools or hardware.

-Barry

Top Bottom