Black and White segment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Went a little crazy with design on this one (looks a little busy). I found inlaying these dots into wood is much more forgiving than PR. It is not a perfect pen. The finial needs to be re-done. This pen will go into a new category I may need to start: "Pens that need something re-done but spent too much dadgum time on it to fool with now". :at-wits-end:

I wonder if alumilite is any easier for these kinds of inlays? Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Black&White-Triton-seg.jpg
    Black&White-Triton-seg.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Black&White-seg.jpg
    Black&White-seg.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 290
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Thanks for the comments.

You can't see from the pictures that the black and aluminum dot inlays are not flush with the white part of the finial. Apparently there was not enough support to the back of the finial because when I pushed the finial into the cap for glue up I inadvertently pushed the black and aluminum dot below flush. I either need to fix it somehow or put the original finial back in.

Turn and learn I guess.

Hendu3270

Thanks for the comments.

You can't see from the pictures that the black and aluminum dot inlays are not flush with the white part of the finial. Apparently there was not enough support to the back of the finial because when I pushed the finial into the cap for glue up I inadvertently pushed the black and aluminum dot below flush. I either need to fix it somehow or put the original finial back in.

Turn and learn I guess.

Yep, that's how we learn little tricks to improve with the next one. I worry about this same thing when I press my finials in and use very light pressure on it if I need to use my press. I try to turn the little stem to a diameter small enough that I can use my thumb to snuggly press it in. Then flip it over and place a drop of med CA into the cap to secure it. One word of caution if anyone tries this....DO NOT screw the cap onto your pen and set aside if you use a drop or two of CA inside. The fumes from the CA will adhere to any fingerprints on the nib. They can be removed with fingernail polish remover but I've found if I wait a day or so, it doesn't happen.

MikeL

Good advice Chris. Reversing the cap to glue from the other side would have resulted in a more successful outcome!

BSea

That's a beautiful pen. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the blingy centerband. But I don't particularly like any of the high end blingy kits anymore. Especially on a pen like yours. I think it detracts from the work. And your work is outstanding.

And I was wondering the same thing about alumilite.

MikeL

That's a beautiful pen. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the blingy centerband. But I don't particularly like any of the high end blingy kits anymore. Especially on a pen like yours. I think it detracts from the work. And your work is outstanding.

And I was wondering the same thing about alumilite.

The pen I did just after this one was the first time I replaced the center band. In hind sight I should have done it with this one also. A black or white band would have looked better for sure.

Jim Burr

Banned
I think you really pulled it off Mike! I was thinking to cut down the business, maybe thin out the upper white section by the clip and drop one of the white bands at the threads? JMHO and my glasses are dirty!!

MikeL

I think you really pulled it off Mike! I was thinking to cut down the business, maybe thin out the upper white section by the clip and drop one of the white bands at the threads? JMHO and my glasses are dirty!!

I mentioned that this pen took quite a bit of time and I was tired of messing with it...well part of the reason for taking so much time is the blow out I had right off the bat trimming the upper barrel. The white at the thread end of the cap was the same dimension as the upper white section of the cap. It broke while trimming. So I had to part it off and do something other than the original design. That's where the added thin black and aluminum segment at the threaded end came from. Now you know the rest of the story. This pen was a challenge that includes a challenge of patience. :)

Top Bottom