Birdhouse Season

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Its getting close to that time of the year again. Trees will be decorated and here are some items to help. Made from various small pieces of wood and cutoffs I had around the shop.

This first one is made from of the walnut that my "Ant Pool" vases were made from.
BH0037.jpg BH0037a.jpg

BH0038.jpg BH0039.jpg

BH0040.jpg BH0041.jpg

BH0042.jpg BH0043.jpg

BH0044.jpg BH0044a.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Lawrence, thanks for the comments. I do one coat of thin CA on the lathe and then spray with clear lacquer but I was out of lacquer for these so I used crystal clear Krylon. Seems to have worked just as well as lacquer.

Those are very nice ornaments. What do you use for the finish?

JD Combs Sr

Larry they are what you might call minis. None are more then say 6-7" tall. They are intended as ornaments only. For reference the "door" opening is made with a 7/16" Fostner bit. Most are made from a 2"sqX 4-5" blank resulting in the lower section being about 1.5" or so in diameter. The roof circumference is probably 2-3". Hope this helps.

Can you give us some idea as to how big these are? Love them can't wait to copy them :)

JD Combs Sr

Thanks Dave, yes to making the hangers, not sure they are "fancy":eek: but yes I made them. Just some gold colored wire from Michael's jewelry department. Bent to shape with some needle nose pliers.

Great job, Very creative assortment.Beautiful choice of wood. Did you make the fancy hangers also ??

Dave

Top Bottom