Big problem with the Lotus fountain nib assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrathbun

I just built a Lotus. Excellent pen. But, I have a problem that I can't seem to get past. The stinkin' nib is not letting ink transfer properly from the ink container to the nib. I unscrewed the nib itself and looked at it under my desk magnifier. Darned if I can really even see the hole where the ink goes out and air goes in. Actually, the thing that goes into the ink holder looks like it is smooshed to me.

When I use it, I can get about four or five lines written on a sheet of paper, then the nib runs dry. I then have to shake the pen a few times and then I can get another four or five lines. Pretty danged annoying.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Call CSU, they always fix the problems with their kit very fast and good.
When you pay that kind of price for a kit, you don't fool around. We are lucky enought to have a supplier that stand behind it's product and have a great custummer service.

Alfred

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you bought more than one kit, try a different nib.

Send the one that doesn't work back to CSUSA, they will replace without question (I am told, I have NEVER returned anything.)

randyrathbun

Originally posted by samuel07
<br />Try flushing out the nib using water in the converter. There may be some stuff left over from manufacturing.

Yeah, I tried that. Oh, trust me I have! I only bought one, so can't try another. Just thought that the thing looked really suspect. I tried taking a picture of it, but cant get the macro to give me a good enough picture of it, and I have misplaced my macro converter for some other lenses that would do better.

Anyway, thanks all for your help! I will give them a buzz on Monday.

gerryr

More information is needed. Are you using a converter or cartridge? If a converter, what kind of ink? The nib(metal part) must sit flush on top of the feed or it will not write correctly. If you're using fountain pen ink and not India ink, I suspect that's the trouble. If you can get it write several lines before it quits, ink is getting from the cartridge or converter to the nib.

randyrathbun

Okay, I was able to get the nib out of the feed finally. Was not sure originally if it was molded in there or if it was actually removeable. Well, it is removeable, so I sat here with the nib in one hand, the feed in the other. Plugged in a cartridge and watched a few drops of ink fall out. Put the nib back in and now it is working! Okay, kind of working... the feed is off a bit from the nib, so getting a bit more ink than I would like. But, it is working now.

Thanks all for your help! Gotta go wash my hands and head to bed.

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />More information is needed. Are you using a converter or cartridge? If a converter, what kind of ink? The nib(metal part) must sit flush on top of the feed or it will not write correctly. If you're using fountain pen ink and not India ink, I suspect that's the trouble. If you can get it write several lines before it quits, ink is getting from the cartridge or converter to the nib.

Draken

Glad you got it working. How do you store the pen when it is not in use? Since it is such a large pen, CSUSA doesn't recommend using the clip and putting it in a pocket nib up. The large nib causes an air lock with the ink when stored/carried in this manner. Since I've stopped carrying it that way, my problem of it running dry has stopped. Never had an issue with my Jr. Statesman VII when I carried it in the same manner. CSUSA says it is because of the difference in the sizes of the nibs.

Cheers,
Draken

Firefyter-emt

From your original post, a few things need to be clarified. You mention that you can not find the hole where the air lets in. Unless you have a really defective nib, this is the hole on the front of the nib and at the top side of the "slot" in the nib. Next you mention that "thing that goes into the ink holder looks like it is smooshed to me". Are you saying that the "pin" you push the ink converter on to is damaged? If you accidently pushed it to once side when installing the ink converter it will cause a lot of problem. Next, you are using a proper ink and not an India ink, right??

I use a fountian pen daily, large nib too (a Churchill) and it's in my pocket nib up all day while driving around 5 hours a day in a car and I never have issues with "dry nib"

If the nib is not laying against the feeder assy. you may have a bent nib and this will also stop the flow of ink. When starting the ink flow on a new pen or after a flush you do need to spin the converter down a bit untill it drips and then blot with a paper towle. I do refill the converter after this just so it's full.

randyrathbun

Okay, well, after using it some more today, it stopped and is back to it's old tricks again. I called CSUSA and they are sending a new nib assembly out. The tech guy I talked to, Brian, I think it was, said he was going to try the new nib for a bit and make sure it worked.

No, I don't use India ink. I have run the ink that came with it, Waterman Black and Waterman Blue, Pelikan Black, Blue Black, and Brown through it. All do the same thing... write a bit and that's it. Yes, those listed I use are all fountain pen ink.

When I talk about the pointy out bit, I mean the pin, yes. After doing some more looking at it, it is not damaged, but, I could not see how in the world any ink would get through it. Granted, some has to, but it just doesnt look like much could get back through it. I did find a document here on this site showing that the feed comes apart, so I took it apart. Everything looks totally fine. I can see the small channels where the ink is supposed to run, and they look clean, and since it has done this since the first container of ink, I don't see how crud would be in there (specially since I clean the feed/nib every time I change ink).

When I said "smooshed" i meant the very top of the pin, not the pin itself. It looked like, at the time to me, that it had been rounded over when I looked under the desk magnifier. I went and bought some 10X reading glasses today (sheesh, I swear 20 years ago I could look at this stuff close up!) and examined it really close. It is not "smooshed" at all. I was not sure exactly what it was supposed to have looked like until I got the feed apart and saw the very small ink channel that runs up the pin.

I have also done the squeeze bulb trick - using one of the old Radio Shack solder sucker bulbs to force water into and out of the feed. First, flushing out, then sucking in, and only letting the water go one way at a time (not in out in out, but out out out, in in in) to try dislodging anything that may be stuck in there, such as flashing from the manufacturing process. No luck there, and, as I noted, I did not see anything when I got the feed apart.

I let the pen sit tip down all last night, plus all day today. It has been in that position constantly. Still running dry.

That said, I don't know if I buy the nib up thing - For the price of this thing, it better darn well work whether I keep it up or down!

Will see what happens when I get the new nib assembly.

I will note that when I attach a cartridge and leave it for a few minutes, no nib, then pull the feed apart, it is pretty bone dry in there still. There is some ink, but it does not seem to make it down much on the underside of the nib. It just kind of congregates under it near the top and does not go much farther down. Granted, it could be going down farther, and when I remove the nib I am actually wiping it back towards the top - I think that may be what is happening here.

Will keep you all posted.

randyrathbun

Just wanted to note that CSUSA sent the new nib and I got it yesterday - did not get a chance to try it until last night, but I did. And it works beautiful! Kept it nib up for a few hours and no problem. Kept it nib down, no problem. Wrote three pages of notes and no problem. So, they solved my problem!

Now, the kicker - they did not send me just the nib. Nor the nib assembly. They sent an entire pen - a rhodium lotus. Well, since all I needed was the nib, and the nib I replaced does not work right, and this *is* a 'spensive pen, I just don't feel right about having it in my posession, so it is heading back to them (with the bad nib of course).

I dont get impressed by a company's customer service very often, but this is ridiculous!

Anyway, thanks all of you for trying to help me get the bad nib working.

Oh, and I did compare the new nib to the bad one. I can see NOTHING wrong. Obviously there, is, but what I don't know.

pete00

Originally posted by randyrathbun
<br /> Now, the kicker - they did not send me just the nib. Nor the nib assembly. They sent an entire pen
I just don't feel right about having it in my posession, so it is heading back to them (with the bad nib of course).

Randy
Did they ask you to send it back, the same thing has happend to me a few times , when i called and said im shipping it back they said. dont bother, consider it a gift for the bad experience you got.

give em a call tell them your sending it back....
pete

randyrathbun

Originally posted by pete00
<br />
Originally posted by randyrathbun
<br /> Now, the kicker - they did not send me just the nib. Nor the nib assembly. They sent an entire pen
I just don't feel right about having it in my posession, so it is heading back to them (with the bad nib of course).

Randy
Did they ask you to send it back, the same thing has happend to me a few times , when i called and said im shipping it back they said. dont bother, consider it a gift for the bad experience you got.

give em a call tell them your sending it back....
pete

Naw, I am going to send it back anyway. For one thing, the pen won't do me any good because it has a bad nib! But, I also want to give them the opportunity to see what is wrong with it. Maybe they can find something that I am not seeing, and be able to help the next person figure out what it might be if they have one lock up like this one does. Something just is not right about it.

Tell ya what though, this pen really rocks! After using it and not having to shake it any more to get it to write, I am becoming a pen snob now. :)

byounghusband

CSUSA's customer service is GREAT. I messed up an Emporer. My fault, crossthreaded the nib coupler. They sent me a new Rodium plated 22k gold Emporer kit. [:0][:D][:D]
<u>And</u> they said keep the old kit. No need to return....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom