Big lathe pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

Hi everyone, this is some pictures of my homemade lathe that I made the big Mango bowl on.
I can turn 4 feet 8 inches, one day I will fine a Koa tree big enough to max out my lathe, this is the bigest lathe in my shop, I have a few others, i have a powermatick 35/20 and a General with a 20 inch capacity and I have a delta 12 inch and a rockwell 12 inch and a few others including a small metal lathe, it is hard to tell I like turning :)
I hope you all enjoy the pictures.
Aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

Attachments

• big lathe 1.jpg
    big lathe 1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 438
  • big lathe 2.jpg
    big lathe 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 524
  • big lathe 3.jpg
    big lathe 3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 493
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Man that thing should have a safety cage between you and that piece of wood, that thing ever comes off and heads your way it would take you right out, that is a huge piece of wood you got there! It does look like fun though I give ya that, have fun and stay safe! Thanks for shareing the photos!

phillywood

Man that thing should have a safety cage between you and that piece of wood, that thing ever comes off and heads your way it would take you right out, that is a huge piece of wood you got there! It does look like fun though I give ya that, have fun and stay safe! Thanks for shareing the photos!
Tim, that's what I thought too.

Charles, from your pic. you are standing straight in the path of the blank rotation, I just pray that you should never have any accidents with those huge salbs.
And, as Tim suggested if you were to put a cage in front of that lathe how would you go about making one?

witz1976

Nice!! So when do we get a youtube video of you turning a 4' diameter trunk?:biggrin::biggrin:

But in all seriousness, you got bigger stones than I do. I wouldn't come near that thing when it is spinning. (obviously I know it is not going fast, but still...)

jskeen

Do you ever use a powered cutter or router motor on that beast to get things down to shape, or do you gut it out with a big gouge from the start?

James

kludge77

Awesome!

Bent over like that....dude, your back has to be KILLING you! Let us know next month how it turns out!! :)

As to the safety guys... given the blanks sheer weight and size his feet are more in peril than his face. There is no why that piece would be launched...

So. Got Steel Toed?

Chris,
When I read the first couple of lines of your post I thought you might be the guy I saw on the web a while back that uses a Chevy engine as power to his lathe... his roughing gouge was a piece of 2 inch angle iron about 6 or 8 feet long.... that is a huge bowl you're working on... or maybe a bath tub??

Top Bottom