Big Ben Cigar Alumi-pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hey guys,

Had a chance this weekend to get some 3/4" aluminum stock and have at it with the wood tools for a pen. Attached is a photo of the results. Overall, I am pretty happy with the experience. Normally the Cigar Kit uses a 10mm drill for the tube hole. I used a 9mm bit and pressed the hardware into the aluminum without any tubes. I polished it up to a nice luster, and didn't like how easy it was to scratch, so I brushed the finish with some fine sanpapers, until I got a nice result.

Overall, the turning of the aluminum was not as bad as one might think. There are a couple of pointers that I might extend which I stumbled into along the way.

The faster the better. I turned this at 3900+ rpm (Jet Mini lathe). It made a major difference in the smoothness of the cuts, and cut out much of the bumping. I started out in the 1800 range, and it made the cutting waaayyyyy rougher, on me and the tools.

Sharp tools are an absolute must. I am spoiled enough to own the Tormek 2006 (I don't know what I did before it).

I am going to look into a slightly smaller stock, tomorrow. Most likely more around the 5/8" range. I used a large steel lathe (My father's) to bore the hole, and to cut to length, but think that with a little care this could have been done using a jacobs in the tailstock. I am planning on running back out to my father's place next week where I will make up about 10 sets of blanks. Then I will be able to turn them out on my mini when I get an order for one, or need a nice gift. Weight wise, the pen is almost identical to one made of wood. Thanks for the read.

P.S. Sorry for the background. I am embarassed of mine as compared to many of the high quality images I often see here. I think you get the idea though...

alumipen2.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />[:D] Neat! Did you put something over the aluminum to 'coat' or seal it?

Not on this one. I will see how it holds up. I will likely keep this one to show around. Is there something that you might recommend?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />That looks very cool. A couple of questions. Where did you get your aluminum stock? Did you use a skew to turn it?

Hello. I bought the stock from a place here in Sacramento, CA called "Blue Collar". They cary all items relating to fabrication of metals and welding, fastener tyoe stuff. A 6 foot piece of 3/4" stock runs about 14 bucks. I used a round nose scraper for must of it. The skew chisel wanted to bounce around too much. I used a ginernail scraper for some of it too. Just sort of a trial an error thing really.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Great Job. Welcome to the metal pen club![:D]

Thanks btboone.

I have looked at your website. You have some beautiful items there. I was wondering if you might know of an outlet where I could get some sterling silver tubing to cut into rings? I am planning on making some wooden bands with sterling bands inside of them. Thanks in advance,

Fangar

Fangar

I should be receiving an order that I placed from BB at Arizona silhouette. In it I have some black chrome cigars. That should look nice with the aluminum too. Will try that I think next.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by knottyharry
<br />That is one sweet pen. keep up the good work. And post more pics.
Harry

Thanks Harry. Will do. I just got done Quarter Sawing a nice 3/4" board of Zebra that I found. Huge Grain. I made a pen yesterday with it. Great stuff. I will post that up too. Thanks.

James

Checked

Nice pen
Thanks for the info on turning. I am waiting for some aluminum from our production facility.
Found out that they had scrap laying around everywhere. They are even going to drill it out for me. Will wait and see what they send.

btboone

James, I haven't seen tube stock of sterling silver. Someplace to try is a well stock jewelry supply house like Rio Grande. They have access to lots of metals that aren't listed in their catalogs. They usually have ring blanks that are already made, but what's the fun in that!?[:)]

btboone

Silver is something normally cast because it flows so easy and is relatively expensive. It's also not strong, so things that require barstock like structural shapes aren't done with it.

Fangar

All good info on the Sterling Rings. Thanks. Any ideas where to get blanks. I would imagine that they come sized already. I will liekly make a ringe madrel that has a pressure fit style fitting to hold them in place. I just need to find a resoonable place to get flat outer edged silver rings. Any dieas? Thanks.

James

rtgleck

Fangar,

Great looking pen. I scrounged up some Aluminum from a local machine shop (scrap they had lying around) and have been meaning to try it. This might just give me the push I've been needing. Thanks for the tips after making it and once again, a very nice looking pen.

Fangar

Randy,

You're welcome. One more thing to add. Normally I run my jet around 1800 or so for pens. I turned the aluminum at 3900+ which is max for my jet. Made cutting much smoother.

Today I bought a piece of 5/8" rod that is 10 feet long for 16 bucks. The 5/8" should be a bit easier to get down as opposed to the 3/4". Also, I went to a local industrial supply shop in search of a carbie cutter with a rounded nose. The shop owner gave me a round cutter that is used on cast iron. That should get through the aluminum. I am going to fabricate a stainless steel shaft to mount it on, then turn a wooden handle for it. The wood tools turned it fine, but this will likely work better, at least for the big portion. I just got some black chrome cigar kits from AS. I think the black and aluminum will look great.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Hey guys. Had a little time today to turn another aluminum pen out. The 5/8" stock I picked up is much easier to deal with than the 3/4". Takes a lot less time to get down to size. I used a chrome kit this time. Looks nice. I already have it sold too! I am going to do one with a black chrome kit next, for me this time. The good thing too, is that I am starting to pile up the spare tubes for when I goof up a wooden set (Since you don't use them). Cheers,

James

Fangar

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Beautiful pen. You did a fantastic job on it and the background.

Thanks. The black is going to look sweet. Have your cobbs ben selling well for you? I have been seeing some of yours on ebay.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom