best water resistant finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bensoelberg

bensoelberg

I'm making a couple handles for kitchen knives for Christmas. I'm sure that they will get a little wet when washed, but I would like to put a nice looking finish on them that will have a little durability. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Tung Oil, the real stuff 100% not a Formby's Mix that has little to no Tung in it. It polimerizes and soaks deep into the wood, dries hard and water will bead when it hits it. The only thing I would be concerned about would be if you are using Glue. Not sure if the Tung would eat it. Also all you have to do is give it a fresh coat every year or two to refresh the finish.

One word of warning, I have used Tung Oil on bowls and it has taken 20-30 coats to get the finish (gloss) I was after. You can get anywhere from a satin to an ultra high gloss w/ tung if you are patient w/ it.

bensoelberg

I have to epoxy the knives into the handle. I've never used tung oil before so I don't know if it eats through stuff or not. How long do you have to wait between coats?

bitshird

I've heard that waterlox is great, Tung has to be reduced the first coat with Turpentine, and it stinks like the dickens. But I've used it on a couple of bowls, let the first coat sit over night, then use pure Tung oil but it dries slow. I got a quart fro Woodcraft, I don't think you'll find pure Tung oil at a home depot or lowes. and it's kind of expensive, Waterlox isn't cheap either. but I think you'll get a gloss finish a lot faster than with Tung oil.

I've heard that waterlox is great, Tung has to be reduced the first coat with Turpentine, and it stinks like the dickens. But I've used it on a couple of bowls, let the first coat sit over night, then use pure Tung oil but it dries slow. I got a quart fro Woodcraft, I don't think you'll find pure Tung oil at a home depot or lowes. and it's kind of expensive, Waterlox isn't cheap either. but I think you'll get a gloss finish a lot faster than with Tung oil.

I know that his bathroom basins were spectacular... regular sized, segmented and with a high gloss finish. In a correspondence he spoke very highly of the Waterlox... haven't tried it myself, but I did like the way it looked on his basins.

He had 3 or 4 on display at a gallery in Lenoir City that I was contemplating showing some of my stuff too, but they didn't stick around long enough for me to make up my mind.

Top Bottom