Best of IAP Contest Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just curious........ has any thought been given to restricting the type of equipment used in making a pen? I wouldn't mind trying my hand in the open class with a few ideas floating around in my head but wouldn't realistically expect to compete with a pen made on a $10,000 CNC machine where most of the "skill" in making the pen is in the computer programming! Not knocking those with the equipment, just looking for a semi-level playing field.
Well put, ty for putting ito words what I could not.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, well after that :eek: revelation, I guess it's really pointless me entering anymore. :wink:
LOL, may the best advert, oops I mean best entry win.:rolleyes:

Scott

Is there a beginners class?
In arguing or penmaking?:)

LOL! Well, I'm not a beginner in either sense of the word. Let me clarify a few things.

As far as leveling the playing field, I'm not particularly concerned with that. We all should realize by now that this is a contest for accomplished penmakers. Sorry all you novice and intermediate turners! This is where the experts get to show off. Will this limit the number of entrants? Yes, and again I'm sorry. Maybe we'll also run a novice and intermediate contest at the same time, but not with Woodturning Design Magazine.

Skippy has a good point about the "internationality" of this contest. As far as mailing the pens back and forth, there should be no difference other than your initial cost to mail the pen in to enter it. As far as the applicability of having a magazine subscription as a prize if someone outside of the United States wins it - we'll work something out. The cash prize (oops, I let it out of the bag) will travel just fine across international borders.

To Terry, we will establish the judging criteria. The judges we will be using will be fine with that. This is a contest about making pens. Yes, the casting is important in the casting division, but you can't make a sloppy pen and hope to win any aspect of this competition.

I am getting close to deciding on the definition for "kitless", but you may have to wait to hear until after the holiday weekend, as I'm just getting ready to go to our cabin, and there's no Internet there. I think tubes will be allowed, but I'm still up in the air about clips. So if you want to sway how this decision goes, chime in. And don't worry Terry, my rules will be quite clear and easy to comply with!

There are a number of categories that are being left out of this competition. There is no reason why they might not be considered for future contests of this sort. All of what we do here is a learning process. The next contest will be better due to what we learn here. We are not doing collaborations in this contest. Maybe in the future, but for this one it is all one-person pens.

Sorry, but Holiday calls! :cool:

Scott.

Top Bottom