Best color tubes for pinecone blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

I bought some pinecone blanks from wolftat (I feel so bad, if he hadn't been up in that pine tree, he wouldn't have fallen and broken his hand... :crying:). Those who have done pinecones, what tube color looks best for the inevitable see-through spots? Brown or black, or something else?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Depends on the resin color I suppose, mine was cast in red so I used light grey. Other than the "UGLY PEN WINNING" factor it looked great as far as the color went.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Neil cast these cones in clear for me, Landon, so tube visibility comes in loud and clear...

That being the case I'd guess a "lighter" brownish color to match/simulate the core of the cone. My opinion of course, remember mine was deemed "BUTT UGLY" :beat-up: Of course the awesome blank had very little (if any) to do with that award.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Back when Neils brother Johnnie ( Jarheaded) started selling these blanks , I asked Johnnie if he could cast some Silver with glitter . I was so anxious and excited to get my Cigar pen made , I forgot to paint the tubes . When I told Johnnie what I did he just said " Sounds like you had a brain fart Chuck " . I love and miss him ! The blanks were awesome .

It does depend on the color of the blank . I would have used silver on mine . Sorry for running off . Good luck !

Steve Busey

Here's a "freebie" Neil threw in the box - I tried to drill down the center of the cone, but one side is a lot fuller than the other.

Here's "the other" side:
pinecone.jpg

papaturner

Apparently I`m using a different Pine Cone than what you have. The few that I have turned you can`t see the tube. This is the last one I turned it`s a slimline. It was turned from the core of a Long Leaf Pine it took two cone to make one pen. It is not cast just soaked in CA a couple of times during the turning process. Point is it didn`t matter what color tube that I used.

Attachments

• slimlinekey.JPG
    slimlinekey.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom