Bending watch faces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Argo13

i did my first watch part pen. It has plenty of flaws that I will be working on, but one is there were a few hair line cracks on the watch face that happened when I bent the face. I used a piece of maple. Drilled the hole and then split it down the middle to use a a dapping mood. I used a punch and pressed it slowly.

And suggestions on bending the face. Does heating the part help?

PR and used my daughters nail polish for the background. ( probably will get in trouble for that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not really. A lot has to do with the type face it is. Is it painted (some paints will not stretch and the older the more non pliable they are), is it porcelain, Does it have mother of pearl as the face??? Is it a paper face? These are materials that do not bend well and will crack. Also the thinner the tube the more stress you put on the bending. That is why you see many watch part pens with the watch dial put on a larger kit because the tubes are larger. All metal dials are the best dials to bend. The graphics will bend with the shape. if you start heating you now run the risk of discoloring the dial and buffing out may not be an option. heating other watch parts is not a problem because they do not have the graphics you are trying to preserve as in a watch dial.

Good luck and keep trying.

vtgaryw

That's pretty much the way I've done it. I route a groove in a piece of hardwood, just slightly smaller than the tube diameter (this allows for some springback.) The I use a punch and press it.

I've had good luck this way except for a couple of mickey mouse watch faces I had that the paint flaked off. :-(

I have one or two of these left I'm going to try again someday after I figure out a better way for painted faces.

-gary

Argo13

John and Gary,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. It turned out ok even with the small cracks but I want to get better results. Ordering some carbon fiber sleeves for backgrounds and I'll try some bigger tubes.

Jason

jttheclockman

John and Gary,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. It turned out ok even with the small cracks but I want to get better results. Ordering some carbon fiber sleeves for backgrounds and I'll try some bigger tubes.

Jason

To be honest with you I think watch parts get lost in carbon fiber plus you need to take the thickness into account when doing them. Painting the tubes or powder coating them or even using the thin imitation carbon fiber acrylic sheets work well. Silver glass fiber works nice too. Many options.

Top Bottom