Beall or Axminster collet chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangboy5000

No it will be the same. The only time I ever had to change the price from a group buy was with the pen refills, because they over nighted them from Germany and the shipping bill was just crazy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Individual collets (ER-32) are available from http://www.hhip.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=900-0005-240 for $9.50 each. The Little Machine shop has them in sets @ ~$10 each, but the shipping price structure is identical on both sites (probably the same company). Shipping is $1.99 for first item and $0.49 for each additional. Based on this, unless you need a specific size or two, getting the set is less expensive. I only mention this b/c I'll likely be getting a Beall from Charles soon and I wanted to find the best prices on collets.

its_virgil

Steve,
I'm glad you checked and did not take my advice. The axminster collet chuck takes the ER-20 collets, not the ER-16 as I reported.. I was not as ambitious as Russ...he added 5 and I subtracted 4. Sorry for the incorrect info..I hope the confusion is now somewhat claeared up. Just call me DUH!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Borg_B_Borg
<br />Don, how certain are you of this? I'm looking at my 1/4" Axminster collet and compared it to the dimensions of an ER(SA)-16 collet spec. on

http://www.tmsmith.com/products/groups/collets/p43.pdf

and found them to be quite different.

The specs. of my Axminster's collet are:
A=0.810
B=1/4"
C=1.230"

whereas the specs. for an ER(SA)-16 according to the link are:
A=0.6299"
B=1/4"
C=1.083"

I'd like to buy a couple of collets on eBay but can't be certain they'll fit.

Steve

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Steve,
The Axminister Collet Chuck does in fact use ER16 collets.
Don

JimGo

OK, next logical question... with what size collets do you recommend starting? Obviously the 1/4" and 5/16", since that's what the pen mandrels need. Are there any other sizes that I should order now, such that I'm not kicking myself a week from now because I forgot to order some, and I could have used it to help with bottle stoppers, etc? Basically, what are your top three or five most frequently used collet sizes?

vick

Jim I just got mine a little while ago but I started out getting the 1/4 to 3/4 by eigths. I quickly found that this would hold none of my pin chucks so I ended up augmenting the rest of the sizes between 3/8 and 1/2. A set is probably more economical in the long run but I do not think I will have a use for all of the collets under 1/4

so currently I have 1/4,3/8,13/32,7/16,1/2,5/8, and 3/4.

I do not use a B mandrel. So far besides the mandrel collet (1/4) the ones between 3/8 and 1/2 are the most used. Like I said I have not had it long though and it probably depends alot on what kits you use.

driften

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Individual collets (ER-32) are available from http://www.hhip.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=900-0005-240 for $9.50 each. The Little Machine shop has them in sets @ ~$10 each, but the shipping price structure is identical on both sites (probably the same company). Shipping is $1.99 for first item and $0.49 for each additional. Based on this, unless you need a specific size or two, getting the set is less expensive. I only mention this b/c I'll likely be getting a Beall from Charles soon and I wanted to find the best prices on collets.

I tried to order from hhip.com and its just the handling that is $1.99 +.49 per item after that. The ups ground on two collets is $8 on top of that.

From some reason their order page does not work correctly via firefox or Safari so I guess I will try some place else. I only saw the collet sets at Little Machine Shop.

Borg_B_Borg

Don, whether you call yourself DUH or not, you certainly pushed me to look in the right direction. I just won an 11-piece set (1/8" to 1/2" in 1/32 increments) of ER-20 collets on eBay for $61, not a bad price at all. I only hope I'll receive the item because the seller has bad feedback.

Now I just have to figure out a way to back out of a purchase of three individual ER-20 collets without the seller giving me three negative feedbacks. I bought those 3 collets before I saw the 11-piece set.[:0]

Steve

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Steve,
I'm glad you checked and did not take my advice. The axminster collet chuck takes the ER-20 collets, not the ER-16 as I reported.. I was not as ambitious as Russ...he added 5 and I subtracted 4. Sorry for the incorrect info..I hope the confusion is now somewhat claeared up. Just call me DUH!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Nice price Steve....good luck on the other 3. I made an offer on a set of ER-32's forl my Beall but got no response. Guess he thought I offered too little.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom