Advice for spending my christmas money

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

karrlot

I've been turning bowls for a few years and want to try turning pens. I've looked at the starter set from PSI, which includes the mandrel, chisels, and 10 pen/pencil kits. Is this a good kit, or can I find one better (at about the same price)?

One question I have, is that I've seen mandrels that are MT and some that are threaded. Based on my lathe, I could get a MT#2 or a 8TPI. Is there a reason why I would choose one over the other? Also, any other advice on what I need to purchase to get started?

Thanks,

Joel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

Joel,

Since you have experience you can probably begin anywhere.

I use a #2 MT simply because that is what I was first shown. The #2 is probably going to fit more lathes. Does the 8TPI have the right size mandrel shaft?

For cheap kits it is going to be hard to beat some of the offers from Woodturningz.com or Ariona Silhouette. I might pick up 5 slim lines and bushings and start there.

In any case welcome!

mrcook4570

If you already have chisels and a lathe, then you really only need a mandrel, kits, and bushings to get started. I'll second the woodturningz and AS suggestion.

JimGo

#2 MT is a good choice; from what I understand, they tend to run more true. The PSI kit isn't bad, but I find that the wood in the starter kits isn't all that exciting. Since you have wood turning experience, I'd go with the Woodturningz, CSUSA, and Arizona Silhouette recommendations, or with some of the guys here like BigRob777 or Dario. These are people who also turn pens and know what grain patterns make a nice looking pen. They all have great stock, though BigRob and Dario (and others, like Bill Jacobs if you can find him) have some amazing stuff. I'd stay away from slimlines for your first pens, regardless of your experience level. IIRC, you're turning that to something like 1/32" thick, which doesn't leave much room for error. Better to try a cigar pen. The trick is to order extra tubes when you order the pen kits, this way if you mess up a pen, you won't feel like you've wasted the kit.

Good luck, and we look forward to seeing LOTS of pictures of your pens, and your bowls!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The main advantage of the #2 Morse taper is its ability to transfer from lathe to lathe. MOST of the mini/midi and SOME of the big lathes will take these. Any screw configuration will change when you go to a different lathe.

If you get serious about penturning (it happens!!), you may have 3 or 4 lathes (this also happens!!)-if you don't have to replace all your mandrels (currently 12), this is a significant saving!

PLAN AHEAD[:p][:p][:p]

Oh, and have fun!!

vbatwork

Hi Joel, Welcome! While I can't offer the same experience level as what you have here to draw from, I just couldn't resist bumping up my number of posts! I've only been turning pens for 8 months or so and wasn't much of a turner before having only done a few small table legs. Getting used to the tight tolerances with the bushings was interesting. (I like to make them shiny) [:D] Grab loads of spare tubes with any starter set you get. Being a beginner I haven't mastered turning away all the wood to recycle mine while experiementing. Have fun!

fuzzydog

Joel, Avoid PSI mandrels. I use a Klien lath, no taper, and have gone through 6 PSI mandrels. 1 for a jabobs chuch and the rest to screw onto the head stock. My last fight with them to replace it ended when I boxed the unit and sent it to the president of PSI including photos of the mandrel with a dial indicator showing the the mandrel was .5825 out of straight. I also told him if that's as they could do, keep the d*@$ thing. They sent another that only .o38 off. Thanks for the help PSI.

Scott

Hi Joel!

We're glad to have you join us here! I would stick with the Morse taper mandrel. The only reason you would want to go with a threaded one is if your lathe wouldn't accept the MT mandrel adaptor! Some mandrels and mandrel adaptors are better than others. I like the ones from Berea that are based on the drill drivers (not their basic ones). I personally use the adjustable mandrel holder from Craft Supplies, but I use mandrel shafts from Berea or Woodcraft. I understand that the Woodcraft Pro Mandrel is a good one. I hope this helps.

As for where to buy a start-up package, I would echo for you to call either Ryan at Woodturningz or Bill at Arizona Silhouette. Ryan sells mostly PSI stuff, but he also has other things there as well, and he is a penturners himself, so won't steer you wrong. Bill is also a great resource, and he sells mostly Berea stuff, but some other things as well. Bill also has the most amazing stabilized pen blanks, and a really good penturning video.

Speaking of videos, the new ones out by Rex and Kip are really good, but don't pass up the ones by Russ. Russ is an amazing font of knowledge on penturning, and his videos and web site are true gems! If you can't find his link in our resources section, he might stop by in a bit and give it to you himself!

Good Luck! And don't forget we like to see pictures!!! [:D]

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom