BBQ Black blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

Any one know what is in these blanks? These things are rock hard. And of course right at the end they explode. I use epoxy and you could see it on the blank and tube where it explodes. I will avoid these in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I believe they are hardwood pellets used in pellet grills. I've never turned one but often times when you cast something harder than the resin you will have that issue, especially since there are so many and less resin. The pellet construction could also be the problem. To help you can saturate the blank a few times during the turning process with thin CA. That may help hold them together along with the usual sharp tools and light touches. Sadly not all blanks turn the same and some make us work a little harder.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Yo could probably achieve the same look with feed pellets and be much easier to turn. But, they wouldn't be BBQ then, unless you count after you have butchered.

Bope

I took a closer look last night and the glue is not what failed. The paint on the inside of the blank failed. I did some looking and epoxy seems to be dissolved by acetone of mineral spirits so I might try turning the the rest of the blank off and cleaning up the tube and try again. The cap is all turned and ready so I might as well try making a body with the same material.

Bope

It was either a 1/2" gouge or a negative rake square carbide. I was trying to find what would work best. I don't remember which one I was using when it exploded.

qquake

It was either a 1/2" gouge or a negative rake square carbide. I was trying to find what would work best. I don't remember which one I was using when it exploded.
If it was carbide, were you holding it parallel to the blank, or at an angle? I have much better success with a shearing cut, even with inlace acrylester (which is notoriously "chippy").

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 048_shear.jpg
    048_shear.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 049_shear.jpg
    049_shear.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 068_205.jpg
    068_205.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 81

Bope

I wasn't having chipping problems. It was just so hard. Patience is needed for these blanks because you are only going to get small shavings. No hogging out the blank.

Top Bottom