Batten down the hatches!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Well, I guess this "Irene" thingy is going to go directly over us! Or at least close enough that it is going to cause some good damage.

The 2nd Fleet sortie is in progress and we are making preps to get as ready as possible. I have a generator, lots of gas, batteries, water and plenty of other stuff to keep us safe! Hopefully we won't go without power for as long as we did with "Isabel" back in 2003.

Been quite some time since one of this magnatude has come through here.

If you are in the path, MAKE PREPARATIONS!! It is better to be over prepared than not prepared enough!

Take Care! If you don't hear from me for a while, I will be back up as soon as we get connectivity back! Should be an interesting next couple of weeks starting this weekend!

renowb

Best of luck to you! I've been through a lot of hurricanes down here in Houston. We went without power for 2 weeks after Hurricane Ike. It's not fun. Especially with the heat and humidity here! But fortunately, no damage to the house, etc. Good Luck!

GaryMGg

We survived Hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jeanne, back in 2004. Not a lot of fun. Just hunker down and wait it out-- Good luck.
And Ivan. 2004 -- what a year for Florida hurricanes :frown:

<<--- hoping 2011 doesn't earn a similar distinction.

Good luck up there; Irene could be a Cat. 4 by late tomorrow.

Jerryconn

You guys take care and stay safe. I have a daughter in NC 60 miles off the sound where it is going to pass. and a brother in Norfolk. Everyone be safe.

PTownSubbie

I have a 6KW generator that will run the whole house but hope I never have to use it. Stay safe up there.

Mine is a 5.5KW that I have used several times. Only think I can't run is the Stove and A/C units. Other than that, we are set! Kids get their gaming systems and such.

We are anticipating a few visitors (my daughter's roommates) from college since they are shutting down the apartments starting tomorrow.

Longfellow

I have a 6KW generator that will run the whole house but hope I never have to use it. Stay safe up there.

Mine is a 5.5KW that I have used several times. Only think I can't run is the Stove and A/C units. Other than that, we are set! Kids get their gaming systems and such.

We are anticipating a few visitors (my daughter's roommates) from college since they are shutting down the apartments starting tomorrow.

Who cares about a hurricane if you have a houseful of college girls---------

edicehouse

Hey Fred does this mean you can make a few of those yellow and silver blanks like I the one I got from you yesturday. Unfortunatly I didn't get a picture of it, thought my wife was going to.

USNR'03

Fred,
With a generator you can still "play" out in the shop, I'm the same way over here, just watch for falling trees. :befuddled: If nothing else we might find some potential bowl stock.

seamus7227

HURRICANE PARTY!!

Hey I can remember doing that at fort bragg in 1996? i think it was that year. trying to remember if it was Hurricane Fran that hit the east coast hard, either way, we had a big hurricane party, of course, i was 20yrs old and not very bright, not that I am any smarter nowadays, but you get my drift:biggrin:

edicehouse

The shipyard (where I work) is closed tomorrow to non essential personell. Now the boss can not tell me if we are essential or not.

I guess in the morning if I feel like coming in, I will, if not some time to make pens.

cwolfs69

hurricane party too

yeah Fred, i suspect ill have the boys and their girls over also. i looked at the last track just now and i cant tell if it goes through the garage or the office. ill have to wait till she gets a little closer. my gen is 5.5 kw also. never had to use it yet but have the hook all configured to just plug in and have run voluntarily a couple of times. hopefully it will be just a waste again, but its here if needed. boarding up the windows tomorrow morning. good luck folks. this one could be a tough one.

Sylvanite

...trying to remember if it was Hurricane Fran that hit the east coast hard...
I lived in South Florida for 10 years and never got hit by a hurricane (although I was there when Andrew took out the National Hurricane Tracking Center - poetic justice - and did in one day what Congress had tried unsuccessfully for years - closed Homestead Air Force Base). The year I moved to North Carolina, Fran hit dead center. I lost over 100 trees in that storm.

Regards,
Eric

PTownSubbie

Well, I am as set as I can be. All our shopping is done, my daughter and two roommates are on their way home right now.

Ran the generator and she started on the first pull. Hopefully that isn't a bad sign that i will have problems when I need it.....:eek:

This one is going to be a doozie! I just have that feeling! At least the wild fire may go out!!

Old Lar

Best of luck to all those involved. I am going to keep our blizzards. Usually, they don't blow houses away. Take Care!

cwolfs69

mr harris, you can certainly come over to my house and turn. just be sure to bring fresh blanks. that would be a good way for me to obtain some tips from you. new stuff helps get through tough times.

bruce119

We been living near Tampa Florida for over 16 years now and dodged the bullet a few times never took a bad hit. We are from N.J. we have a lot of family just inland of Atlantic City. Go figure there the ones that are going to get it. Up there they don't talk much about hurricanes more noreasters. But the news is doing a good job at getting the word out as they should.

If your in it's path stock up NOW with 5 days food & water at the very least.

This is not going to be pretty.

Stay safe all....

snyiper

Well Fred Im just a Stones throw hurricane wise above you on the water and we are bracing as well.I hope all that are affected get through this with no lost lives or injury...

clapiana

I am up in salisbury ma with my RV which is on the Atlantic and they sent out notices you have to leave by noon on sat

Today, Friday, is beautiful no wind bright and sunny around 80deg but People are stocking up like it's the end of the world

IPD_Mrs

My sister is in the path - in Massachusetts. With any luck Irene will have gotten a bit tired by time she makes it there and go a little easier on them. Right now they are in Tropical Storm area just NW of Boston.
I'm hoping all of you in the path of this storm will stay safe - get out of dodge if you can and stock up/board up and close up if you can't.

Keeping you all in my prayers.
Linda

Gas for the gennie, tonic for my gin, beer if I get bored with gin and tonic.

Sadly I have two houses in the path, one in Jacksonville, NC and one here in Stafford VA.

Still prefer this to an earthquake!

jimmyheikes

So I go over to Home Depot this morning for some lumber. My friend who works there said they sold 24 generators in 90 minutes yesterday. However the talk of the store is the couple who came in, asked to look at the generators, then asked if they had any electric generators because they didn't want to deal with gasoline,,,,,,,DOH!!!!!

Top Bottom