Bandsaw question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have a Delta 14" band saw with a Grizzly riser adapted to it... the saw has a 3/4 hp, 1 phase, 1725 rpm, NEMA 56 motor.... last month I had some problem with the motor losing power and when I looked at it, discovered the fan inside the bell housing had come loose and the motor was overheating. After a 2 week stay at the local electric motor repair, I put the motor back on the saw and it worked fine, until yesterday.

In the middle of cutting a slab out of a small Cherry log, the saw tripped the circuit breaker and I thought it smell hot with an electrical arc smell. I figured I had too many machines on the circuit going at once... the saw, a fan and the compressor. I reset the breaker and shut down for the day... today I started the saw without any other machine on the circuit... immediately smelled the hot electrical smell, so I'm guessing the motor is shot.

Looking on line I found that Grizzly has both a 3/4 and a 1 hp motors on sale... thinking about upgrading to the 1 hp for the additional power.

Question is: will the saw handle the 1 hp motor or should I stick to the 3/4 as it is the stock size motor that comes with the saw.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Chuck, if the motor has the same footprint and same speed rating there is no problem. It will run cooler under heavy loads. My question is why not take it back to the place you had it repaired. my guess is from the overheating it probably degraded the windings thus shorting out.

Chuck, if the motor has the same footprint and same speed rating there is no problem. It will run cooler under heavy loads. My question is why not take it back to the place you had it repaired. my guess is from the overheating it probably degraded the windings thus shorting out.

John,
The wife suggested same thing, but it took them 2 weeks to put a fan on it... I don't have 2 weeks to wait...we're into our Holiday Market season and I only have 3 weeks of the market. Grizzly has the 1 hp motor on sale this week at a pretty reasonable price.. actually about the same price I paid to have my motor repaired.

low_48

The only thing that would not allow more horsepower to be transferred in the machine would be the v belt. But the little change you are suggesting is no problem. You could likely use a 2 hp with no problem. I think the blade is a more limiting factor in successful sawing with the machine. I've seen a lot of really dull blades being used, and often too many teeth.

The only thing that would not allow more horsepower to be transferred in the machine would be the v belt. But the little change you are suggesting is no problem. You could likely use a 2 hp with no problem. I think the blade is a more limiting factor in successful sawing with the machine. I've seen a lot of really dull blades being used, and often too many teeth.

I'm running a relatively new blade, 3/8" with 4 tpi.... it's been on the machine about a week... and I've only cut half dozen or so bowl blanks with it... I don't usually buy anything smaller. I have a 2 horse motor that HF provided when I thought my dust collector had crapped out... turned out to be the switch, so I wound up with an extra 2 hp motor... but it's about 2 feet long and don't think it would fit the saw. :)

low_48

That's an excellent chose for sawing bowl blanks. Just feed slow enough to let the teeth work. I used to design fan drive systems on Caterpillar tractors. Surprising how much horsepower, and how many belts, it takes to drive a 30" diameter cooling fan!

Top Bottom