Any one use A GoPro or something

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

My son has a GOPRO and loves it. He uses it to record his band stuff. High school Marching band...I use a HD Sony camcorder for my stuff...

Last edited:

Scott

My Son has a GoPro, and he loves it! He is a machinist, and he uses it to shoot videos inside his CNC mill. Very cool! Of course, he also uses it when he takes his RZR out and does crazy stuff!

Scott.

Sylvanite

Can I get away with the least expensive one?
That depends on what you want to do with it. I'm using the GoPro Hero HD, which is their second generation camera. GoPro has subsequently released the Hero 2, Hero 3 (and 3+), and Hero 4 series (with multiple cameras in each). The Hero 5 is rumored to come out in October. Each of the cameras (and it varies within a generation as well as between them) supports different resolutions, angles of view, and frame rates. Newer cameras have better image quality, especially if filming underwater. Newer cameras also support wi-fi streaming and remote control and have different battery run times.. I'm tempted to pick up a Hero 3+ Silver to get a wider field of view and better image quality. I don't need 4k resolution yet - 1080p is still good enough for me. Using the Hero HD with battery backpack, shooting 1080p 30fps, I can record 3-3.5hrs of continuous video (approximately 24gb) before the batteries run out.

Are you planning to record action footage, or lathe operation? If the latter, you may be better off with a small camcorder. They're less expensive and typically have long zoom lenses. The GoPro cameras are fixed focal length at a very wide angle. They're meant for sports video, not stationary filming.

I hope that helps,
Eric

TonyL

Very big help. Thank you. Just stationary lathe stuff. I have a camcorder. Saved me money...I will buy more kits! Thank you.

I use my gopro as it is tiny very easy to use camera and you can take it anywhere. I don't have a camcorder so it is my only video recorder... I have a headmount and can make very nice lathe turning videos, but there are a couple disadvantages:

1) it has a super wide angle view... close up work does not look very nice no matter what the resolution is used.
2) it is not difficult to use but there are no manuals in the box so yur education will consist of printing out a manual on line or watching youtube videos

john

lwalper

I'm using a Zoom Q3HD. Great audio and video, more than adequate zoom. 2AA batteries run 3-4 hrs. Uses up to 64Gb mem card.

chartle

Big issue with a Gopro is, unless you have the wi fi remote control feature or I think there is a monitor back, you can't see what you are shooting. With a camcorder you can rotate the preview screen so no matter how you use it you should be able to see what's happening.

If I ever do tape my lathe, I may use my old LG G2 phone. Can't make calls but it still hooks up to Wi Fi or USB to transfer video. Even have a remote control app to see what's happening on my other phone or tablet.

Top Bottom