Any Interest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jleiwig

jleiwig

I'll be making a steel snake hollowing system similar to the monster tool system by Randy Privet. I was wondering if there would be any interest if I did a tutorial on it?

It won't be right away, too many other projects on the burners, but I picked up all the steel last Friday and will work on it between other projects over the summer.

The tutorial will have dimensioned drawings and lots of pictures, I've already started drawing some of them up. I'll also be sharing it on a couple other websites I frequent.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Ok. Here are a couple prototype drawings..or amatuertype if you will. The dimensions should be good. I've referenced them off of others who have built one.
The first picture is of the front section where you would mount your boring bars and laser upright.

attachment.php

The next is of the Mounting post that will sit on the lathe. I plan on getting a couple t-nut replacements for the banjo/tailstock from Randy at monster wood tools.
attachment.php

This is of the section that will go at the end of the hollowing system.
attachment.php

These were all drawn with MS Paint, and I will put them into an actual drafting program at a late date, but I just wanted to sort everything out first hand, and what else was I supposed to do on my lunchhour?

Last edited:

jleiwig

Now for some details.

I plan on using the following from Mcmaster-Carr where metal will meet metal

95649A241
UHMW Polyethylene Flat Washer
3/8" Screw Size, .625" OD, .027"-.035" Thick
In stock at $6.72 per Pack of 25 x 1

6391K178
SAE 841 (oilite) Bronze Sleeve
3/8" ID, 1/2" OD, 1" Length
In Stock at $1.02 each x 3

I purchased the steel locally from a steel recycling yard. I paid 11.86 for it all, including some cuts, and some extra steel to make some carbide scrapers with.

I will be borrowing a welder from my friend, an exhaust shop could probably do it for you for a reasonable charge.

I'm missing pictures for the middle sections, but those are just 1/4" x 1" flat strap, and I'll make different sets of lengths for different depths of hollowing.

I am also missing a picture of the adjustable post that goes into the mounting post, but that will just either be round rod drilled and tapped for a 3/8" SHCS or a 3/8" hex bolt welded to a piece of 3/4" sq rod.

Other than that, all you need is boring bars. I will include info on making those as well, or you can just purchase your own.

Finally, here is a picture of what it looks like. Thanks to Mike Baber for the picture and technical assistance.

attachment.php
+
attachment.php

Also thanks to Chuck Beland and Capt Eddie for making their versions available on the web!

Last edited:
Top Bottom