Any cat people here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Well, I AIN'T ONE O' YAS.

But, I do have two cats (actually my wife has two cats, and then a husband[B)])

Anyhow, I actually do like the cats, and managed over the years to get a couple funny pics. Hopefully these are good enough for a laugh.

Stormy, apparently with a hangover.
stormy_hangover.JPG

Blaze, in the midst of being agitated by me, caught right in the middle of her annoyed "WHOOOKAAW!" protest. I can't believe the timing I got on this one.

blaze_ticked.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

My wife came with two cats as well. Then the herd was joined by a found puppy and later a found kitten. The original cats have passed away and I'm finally getting used to their replacements walking on me!!

GaryMGg

Between my wife and two girls, there were always cats.
I got used to 'em and treat 'em like dogs. They come when ya call 'em by name!
Buddha and Marley are the two youngest and they hang around the shop when I'm workin'.
We live in the country and there's currently 6 plus some kittens. No mice!!!
Only one dog left as Rusty and Jeb are both restin' in the lower pasture.

wudnhed

Great pictures and yes, Blaze looks very agitated :(. We have 4 inside - outside cats, 2 outside cats and 3 feral cats someone has dumped on us. Thanks goodness we're all fixed!!!!! We live in the country too and have NO mice so they are doing their jobs!:)

Armacielli

I'd been a cat personsince I was 6ish through my 16th birthday. For my birthday I got one of the miniature dachshunds from the litter from one of our neighbors. We had the cats and the dog at the same time. the cats were certanly in charge and didn't like the dog, Luigi.Once the cats realized that I was in league with the dog, they stopped liking me, too. In response I stopped liking cats and became a dog person to this day.

091.jpg

How could you not be a dog person when you live with this little guy?

We have 4 cats all rescues. One I found as a kitten, out back of the shop. I thought it was dead, but then it hissed at me and dragged itself away on its front paws. I caught him, forced a syringe of milk and bananas & water down his throat every 2 hrs. for that weekend. By day 2 it was able to stand akwardly but boy could he climp up the furniture with only his front claws, kinda like a monkey. While its not his "official" name I call him Monkey-boy. Its been a few years since then and he is still with me, when I sit to watch some TV he comes and flops himself across my chest just like when I was feeding him when he was a starving kitten.

sparhawk

we had 4 until my daughters cat(which she had from a kitten since age 6) dissapeared about 3 weeks before christmas. He was about 14 years old and she is still heartbroken. Then about a week before christmas we had to put down our 16 year old dog,Lady. She couldnt see or hear and had gotten so wobbly she could barely stand.We still have 1 dog, and three cats. ! cat we asked for and two rescues. The world would be a darker place without these family members.

redfishsc

Originally posted by sparhawk

we had 4 until my daughters cat(which she had from a kitten since age 6) dissapeared about 3 weeks before christmas. He was about 14 years old and she is still heartbroken. Then about a week before christmas we had to put down our 16 year old dog,Lady. She couldnt see or hear and had gotten so wobbly she could barely stand.We still have 1 dog, and three cats. ! cat we asked for and two rescues. The world would be a darker place without these family members.

Sorry to hear about your missing cat. 3 weeks isn't long, I'm sure your daughter is still quite hurt by the loss. When someone is attached, it takes a long time.

burr

We had a cat go missing for 2 years (I was so excited) then it came back [:0], I cant get a break with any thing. But it did make my daughters day when he came home.

bitshird

2 inside cats, 1 outside cat 1 inside German Shepherd 4 outside German Shepherds and 2 Dumb (on my part) rescued mutts, that never get in the house.:D:D:D:D

great12b4ever

We have three inside cats, one male Tuxedo Tom, named Bear that was adopted from the SPCA in Oregon, One female calico, named Cali, that was thrown out of a neighbors house because he was that type of person that LOML rescued, and one local rescued cat named Rascal, that realy lives up to its name, all fixed and all shots current. We also have about 6 strays hanging around because LOML has a soft spot and feeds them outside. I keep telling her one more cat and I'm gone, but she never listens to me. :D;)

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
We have two cats now. One is an American Ragdoll, one of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen, and one that recently was added, that was abandoned at my office complex. She was only 4 weeks old and more dead than alive when I found her. Took her home "for the weekend" because the vet wasnt open, and ended up keeping her. I grew up with dogs, but these cats make your day in ways that are much different than a dog can. Still love dogs, but after 9 years, the cats are growing on me.....

cowchaser

I have a question for those with outside cats that live in city limits. Is it fair to the neighbors to allow your cats to run free? I mean my son can't play in his sandbox due to cat crap. We can even sit on our front porch due to the smell of the cats crapping in our flower beds. My animal is kept put up, shouldn't the cat be also?

redfishsc

Start filing complaints with animal control if needed. This is a touchy issue for a lot of folks.

My personal opinion is that no cat anywhere belongs outdoors unless only for a while to play. Cats are predators and kill a LOT of wild animals. We once had a very nice covey of quail around our house, but local outdoor cats (note, not FERAL but people's pets!) killed the quail.

People need to keep the cats inside. We do, always.

cowchaser

I actually received a trap from animal control to catch them and they will come get them. I have asked the neighbor that owns 4 of them to keep them out of our flower beds and all she says is "what do you want me to do about it". It is the same ticket for a dog at large here. I just don't understand it I guess.

redfishsc

Originally posted by cowchaser

I have asked the neighbor that owns 4 of them to keep them out of our flower beds and all she says is "what do you want me to do about it".

To that question I would nicely ask her to keep her rodents indoors. That's what I want you to do about it!

As a side note, cats HATE rosemary. Many of the cat repellents you buy are basically just rosemary extract. I don't know if it would be as effective as the spray, but maybe plant a few rosemary bushes around your garden, and occasionally invite me and LOML over for some rosemary grilled chicken?

mick

I had to post this after seeing my cat last night. Excuse the poor pic but I grabbed it with my cell phone. If you can't tell he's sitting in a birdbath. I'm calling this one "waiting for dinner"

200842221298_Apr21_0001.jpg

Oliver is a 2 year old orange tabby, acts like a dog, plays fetch and will actually come when called...very unusual for a cat....lol

Originally posted by redfishsc
Snip

As a side note, cats HATE rosemary. Many of the cat repellents you buy are basically just rosemary extract. I don't know if it would be as effective as the spray, but maybe plant a few rosemary bushes around your garden, and occasionally invite me and LOML over for some rosemary grilled chicken?

Some cats MAY hate Rosemary. I have one that goes CRAZEY when I cook with it, or when I bring in some fresh cuttings from my bushes. If I have been tending my Rosemary (I have 6 large shrubs of it) after I come in Missus' Snaps(the cat) will even come and get in my lap(she doesn't get in my lap, ever)and lick my hands and start getting that drooley purr cats get when they are intoxicated.

She does the usual routine for catnip with the other cats, but if I sprinkle some Rosemary on one of the cat carpets, she will loll, and roll, twist herself on that thing till she has gotten all the smell off of it.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

Originally posted by redfishsc
Snip

Some cats MAY hate Rosemary. I have one that goes CRAZEY when I cook with it, or when I bring in some fresh cuttings from my bushes. If I have been tending my Rosemary (I have 6 large shrubs of it) after I come in Missus' Snaps(the cat) will even come and get in my lap(she doesn't get in my lap, ever)and lick my hands and start getting that drooley purr cats get when they are intoxicated.

She does the usual routine for catnip with the other cats, but if I sprinkle some Rosemary on one of the cat carpets, she will loll, and roll, twist herself on that thing till she has gotten all the smell off of it.

Growing up I had a Maine coon cat that went bonkers for the brown skins on an onion. Another cat I had was crazy for olives. My father had a cat that was nuts for pork rinds and one of my current cats really likes fresh mint. I have another one in the pack that loves the smell of menthol. We can't use ben-gay in the house because that cat will be all over you. Put a menthol cough drop in a cat ball and he goes ballistic! He'll even attack any of the other cats if they get too close. My wife calls it his "kitty cocaine".

gmcnut

Hi all,

We are cat people here. Although we like dogs too cats are just easier to take care of. We have five neutered males that split their time between being indoors and outdoors. And then there are several feral cats that come up on the porch to get something to eat and maybe stay around for a visit with my wife "The cat whisperer".

wudnhed

There is a training spray that you can buy at Walmart called "Lassie Repellent" I have found the cats don't like the scent either, it's very pungent. You might also try sprinkling some Ceyanne pepper around in your garden, cats won't like it when they clean their paws. These are some harmless ways to detour cats from gardens. My only suggestion for the child's sand box is to cover it up when not in use.

rjwolfe3

We have four inside only cats and 2 dogs. We love them all just the same.:D I would have to agree with the comments about letting cats run free outside. Our neighbor has a bunch that are always making new ones and the males are constantly spraying all over the outside of our house and our cars. (All of our animals are fixed) I think if you let them go free, then you should have them fixed IMHO. But I do like my cats and I hope they live long and happy lives.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cowchaser

I actually received a trap from animal control to catch them and they will come get them. I have asked the neighbor that owns 4 of them to keep them out of our flower beds and all she says is "what do you want me to do about it". It is the same ticket for a dog at large here. I just don't understand it I guess.

Shotgun. Simple. Feral cats are becoming a huge problem all over the country. Cats can be hard to trap but it can be done. I have caught several and loan my traps to friends. Downside: You might have to release a lot of raccoons and possums before getting a cat. .22s and shotguns are more effective.

wudnhed

Originally posted by rjwolfe3

We have four inside only cats and 2 dogs. We love them all just the same.:D I would have to agree with the comments about letting cats run free outside. Our neighbor has a bunch that are always making new ones and the males are constantly spraying all over the outside of our house and our cars. (All of our animals are fixed) I think if you let them go free, then you should have them fixed IMHO. But I do like my cats and I hope they live long and happy lives.
All of our cats (6) are fixed. Not all but some cats still spray even tho they have been fixed.

IMHO all cats and dogs should be fixed unless your into breeding and even then common sense should prevail. There is an unfortunate and heartbreaking epidemic happing in our country. Thousands of dogs and cats put to death every year because no one wants them etc, etc.

We live off a busy hiway, every year when the weather starts to turn hot and people have to start paying high electricity bills, the first thing to go is their pet because they can't afford to feed them, I guess. They dump them in the country, every year about this time I rescue at least 4 to 6 dogs and have to take them to a rescue outfit. Every year my heart goes out to these animals but I just can't provide a home for all of them. Stepping down and away from the soap box!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wudnhed

Originally posted by rjwolfe3

All of our cats (6) are fixed. Not all but some cats still spray even tho they have been fixed.

IMHO all cats and dogs should be fixed unless your into breeding and even then common sense should prevail. There is an unfortunate and heartbreaking epidemic happing in our country. Thousands of dogs and cats put to death every year because no one wants them etc, etc.

We live off a busy hiway, every year when the weather starts to turn hot and people have to start paying high electricity bills, the first thing to go is their pet because they can't afford to feed them, I guess. They dump them in the country, every year about this time I rescue at least 4 to 6 dogs and have to take them to a rescue outfit. Every year my heart goes out to these animals but I just can't provide a home for all of them. Stepping down and away from the soap box!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you, Becca. Stray animals are not happy animals and can cause great harm to both environment and human environment. Neutering is very important. Some think I am cruel by killing strays. I belive I am benefiting the unhappy (and often, unhealthy) animals, protecting environment from feral, non-native animals and human happiness.

Top Bottom