Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

What finish if any do you use on an antler pen?
I know when it is sanded well it is smooth or really slick.
I've used CA on several but was wondering what the thought of you pen guru's
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russell Eaton

I have used spray lacquer and acrilic with good results. The reason that I don't use CA glue is that I try to drill my blanks so that they have exsposed "bark" or outside antler showing on the finished pen. It will cause for some blowouts in the thin part of the antler.

dale

Thanks all I have used CA on all the ones I've done before but after turning the ones on my lathe now I was wondering what you all do.
So back to the shop. :)
I've been getting several orders for antler pens. I'm lucky that our local locker plant keeps all thr antlers that the hunters don't want. And $.50 per antler isn't bad
Dale

Wood N Works

I have used CA as well. You may also try wet sanding with 2000 grit sand paper. After you dry it off then use HUT Ultra Gloss acrylic polish. It does incredible wonders for Deer Antler.

GoodTurns

depends on the type of antler and if I hit the marrow or not.... I have several AXIS antler pens with no finish on them and they absolutely shine. I use CA to fill and finish if I hit the middle....

BigguyZ

depends on the type of antler and if I hit the marrow or not.... I have several AXIS antler pens with no finish on them and they absolutely shine. I use CA to fill and finish if I hit the middle....

What is AXIS antler? I mean, is that a type of deer, or what? Just curious, as I have a fair amount of anlter, and I'm wondering what the classification's about.

Thanks

Jgrden

I bought from them as well. They sent me antler that was very old and very dry. It looked beautiful when finished. I don't know if they realized they did me a favor.
I have made friends with allot of hunters and will trade one pen for three that I keep. That is about all you can get out of a rack.

davidlj

I mounted six point Sika I shot on the Eastern Shore of MD 8 years ago. Due to going overseas in 2006 I put it a rental storage site and mice ate a small section of the nose. So I'll try using those antlers on my next anter pen.

What is AXIS antler? I mean, is that a type of deer, or what? Just curious, as I have a fair amount of anlter, and I'm wondering what the classification's about.

Thanks

Axis deer are natives of India, but a lot of the game farms in TX breed them for the game farm hunters.... they have a pretty nice antler that sheds seasonally after the rut....

If I have solid white antler, I just polish with a plastic polish... if I run into marrow, I'll seal and finish with CA... then polish with plastic polish.

keithlong

I use a lot of antler for pens, and i dont use anything on them, just polish em with 600 grit sdandpaper and let em go. I made a pocket pen out of a short piece and carry it all the time in my pocket and stills has a good shine to it.

Top Bottom