Another Catalpa Mug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I end grain turned this yesterday afternoon from a limb of the same 102 year old catalpa tree that I have made ones from previously.
This one is for one of my son's in Calgary and he will be taking it home with him when he visits us again here in BC .

I applied a six coat polyurethane finish on this one going by the method that Les Elm uses in his tutorial on how he applies it to pens . So this was like a huge pen . . LOL
I really do believe that of all the different methods of finishes that are at our disposal, this polyurethane one is the best for anyone that cares to take the extra time (compared to some) that is required to apply it.
I put three coats on between 4.00 PM and midnight yesterday and three more coats today.

395124676.jpg

395124677.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Just another catalpa mug, huh? That is some beautiful timber and the finish is no slouch either. Very good job William. If your son doeas not fall in love with it, pm me and I'll send the postage to ship it here. Beautiful!
Charles

W.Y.

Unfortunately my photography is the pits compared to Les's so I was unable to show it properly but it sure looks great in the hand and in person .

W.Y.

William, it looks very nice and I like it. How would it hold up the contact with water or do you know if your son needs to renew the finish down the road in few more years?

Philip.
I put one of these notices inside every mug .
It is just common sense to treat wood as it should be treated but it is best to remind the customer of that and if they don't . . . they are on their own . :wink:.

Six coats of polyurethane should last a very long time with proper care.

Care Of Wood Mug
To preserve the beauty of your wood mug never put it in a dishwasher and preferably not in a dishpan full of water . Clean with damp cloth and dry.

Never leave in a hot vehicle in the sun.

Note
Break-in period for the lid

When new, rotate the lid when removing it rather than pulling it straight off . The seal coming loose by pulling it straight off is not considered a defect. After considerable use the lid will be able to removed either way

Enjoy Your Hand Crafted Wood Mug

Top Bottom