Another Antler Shed Season Comes & Goes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stoneman

Well, I officially ended my moose shed hunting last Sunday as the vegetation and insects are coming out in full force. It turned out to be a decent year. The official stats for my buddy, Ed, his grandson, Griffin, and me as well as our black labs was:

30 sheds in total - labs found 16 and hunters found 14 - total weight of 137 pounds - biggest shed weighed 14-1/4# and smallest was 1/2# (average 4-1/2#).

Even though only part of this haul is mine, I've gathered enough antler to go me another year in my hobby work. I wonder why our wives refer to us as "bone heads"?

Attachments

• SteveRileyGrifEdMandy2009TotalA(8x10)D.JPG
    SteveRileyGrifEdMandy2009TotalA(8x10)D.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Looks like another great season Steve. Nice find. I still think I need one of those dogs! My shed season landed three average whitetail sides. Nothing to get excited about. Luckly a friend of the family set me up with 15 sheds he didnt want. All I had to do was make him a couple pens. Worked out well for everyone.

Jgrden

Well, I officially ended my moose shed hunting last Sunday as the vegetation and insects are coming out in full force. It turned out to be a decent year. The official stats for my buddy, Ed, his grandson, Griffin, and me as well as our black labs was:

30 sheds in total - labs found 16 and hunters found 14 - total weight of 137 pounds - biggest shed weighed 14-1/4# and smallest was 1/2# (average 4-1/2#).

Even though only part of this haul is mine, I've gathered enough antler to go me another year in my hobby work. I wonder why our wives refer to us as "bone heads"?
I want to see a finished Moose pen.

stoneman

I want to see a finished Moose pen.

Here are the first four pens from this year's moose shed haul. The first three Elegant Sierras are for grandsons & nephews who were with us this year for several finds. The three Sierras were all made from the same old, chewed up, crappy moose shed. The last one is a 24K Gold Bullet Cartridge Click Pen that I made for my shed hunting buddy. While I make (and like) real cartridge twist pens, I wanted to make and "test" a couple of the PSI pens as sometimes a click pen is preferred.

Attachments

• ElegantSierraMoose.jpg
    ElegantSierraMoose.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 60
  • MooseCartridge.jpg
    MooseCartridge.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 58

workinforwood

Riley wouldn't be stupid enough to even think about taking on that Moose. those pens look great and that's a heck of a haul. I never find any sheds here either, although I have only white tail deer in the area..harder to find smaller antlers. I try and remember if I see one on the highway, but usually the bucks that get hit by a car, people be-head them! yuck. Your pens look great too. I went to an auction, they had moose and deer antlers, both of which went for far more than I'd ever pay. One set of antlers for a moose sold for $500.

JohnU

I went to an auction, they had moose and deer antlers, both of which went for far more than I'd ever pay. One set of antlers for a moose sold for $500.

Im thinking pen making might be the wrong hobby! Not sure how the season is up North, but here is IL. I start finding whitetail sheds in Feb. on main trails between bedding and feeding areas. Also in high grass fields and on high ridges. I get luck once in a while.

Top Bottom