American Scyamore Crotch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Was tired of looking at this one taking up space on the stack of bowl blanks available, so I threw it on the lathe....well, maybe I grunted a bit getting it on there. Just a little...think it weighed in at 65lbs:rolleyes:
I used the EasyTools 6" faceplate(I wouldn't really recommend buying this faceplate-it's aluminum and is wearing out around the screw holes pretty rapidly), with all eight(8) 2" screws, swung the lathe head to the 90* position and started turning...had to move the lathe head to the 45* position to finish the foot. Got the outside as smooth as I could with my DWay 3/8th inch fingernail grind bowl gouge and sanded it to 220grit.

Hollowing was different...I only have the original 12" rest for the Nova, and it was quite a reach to get the inside curve hollowed. Definitely need to consider one of those "S" tool rests if I'm going to continue making them BIG.... Sanded the inside to 220 also. Then took it off the 75mm jaws and re-sanded the foot area by hand(I hate sanding).

Here it is with one coat of BLO. I'll be putting the final finish of lacquer on it when it dries for awhile in the spare room of the house.....measurements? 15-1/2" ouside(14-1/2" inside) x 9" tall(from the foot to the rim)!!! Species: American Scyamore

Yes, it's too big for my light tent....and it looked like it was gonna rain outside. Sorry....

Not sure what I'll end up doing with this one? It is far too large to stay here! I'll run out of room too fast that way....

Scott (hate sanding) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom